CLOSED: Zone In Page 3

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

mittsy, love the iris, very pretty. Even tho I am zone 5a I am anything but cool and wet. We are hot, dry, and windy, with the mighty Missouri river flooding.....glad I am not near it.

I saw those extra long mailing boxes the other day....they kind of surprised me.

I had purchased a bigger mail box when our last one was destroyed by kids, then I thought I can't use that, the po delivery person will stick boxes in it and they will sit and bake! DH just cracked up, when I called him frantic from work afraid it had installed it.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey Mammy - LOVE joe pye. :D

have you ever seen chocolate eupatorium/chocolate mistflower/white boneset?

purple veins, chocolate leaves, white fuzzy flowers late summer/fall. shade/morning sun in our zone. Delish - I collected seeds when I worked in a botanic garden in MA in 2007. They must be viable forever. Anybody want some, lemme know - will send for SASE. :D

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/38299/

I have 5 of these in morning/straight up noon sun and have to move to shade as they suffer in the full sun/heat. Must be able to take it in other zones, though since a lot of what I've seen recommends it. NOT here where it's 100+ deg. in full sun!

A..

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'd like some seeds, please. Dmailing you. ^_^

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

Same here, A..I'd love to try some.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Carole - that is wonderful! Im glad they are coming up! Here are mine (next to my 7 year old son)...jealous?! :) There are 2 chunks there. They are STILL growing! Mine get about 12 feet tall!

Thumbnail by minnesippi

12 feet tall? Wow! I have 'Chocolate' Joe-Pye and it gets to be about 8 feet at the most. last year was year two for it and I'm hoping this is the 'year they leap' for it and it really takes off. Maybe mine will get super tall like that - I planted it for height where it is so that would be great. What a cute boy!

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

I'd love some A.

WOW ... had NO IDEA it got that tall. You gals just changed my mind about where I was going to plant mine. What kind of shade/sun do you have it planted in?

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Crit, the ones in the pic get part shade. I have others in full sun and they get just as tall. I got them from my mother, hers dont get as tall as mine to. We grow things big in my yard...must be the oak trees :)

My Joe-Pye is in full sun, Patti, and just thrives in the heat.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Evidently mine thrives in cool weather. We've only had a hand full of days above 70 so far. (but they do fine in the heat as well)

LOL. I'd say, minne...getting 12 feet tall!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Joe Pye does get major tall. My chocolate eupatoriums are only 2nd season - they would do much better in less sun. As it is the ones that are in more shade are the larger plants. So far this year the largest plant is 4' and about 3' wide. I expect it to get much bigger. I have been reluctant to move them as they get larger and larger. Each spring I should move it earlier, but I haven't gotten to it. :/

A.

ps. Patti - I'll count you in for some seeds.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

I couldn't believe how big the root systems were when I dug them up. No wonder it took so long to dig up! My mom wanted to move hers, I told her what she had to look forward to when digging them up.
I have them all over the yard now and when I started with them I couldn't even get one to grow...

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yah, those were some big roots, Stephanie. And that is growth after only about a month. That one is in the full sun which was blazing for a couple of weeks. Also in rather heavy clay soil in that particular location. One root is planted back in the partial shade and it is not quite as tall but it is still doing well. It was also a smaller root.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Gosh if any of you have me as a trade partner, I'd love some joe pye that gets that tall, I have joe pye "Gateway", only gets to approx. 5ft. I love tall flowers. Anyone have veronicastrum? Thats another I'd love to get, had years ago in white and pink but moved (also found that it is available in blue too.). Has anyone ever dug and moved Erumerous (foxtail lily, mine in wrong spot and looks like its struggeling). Still potting up plants trying to decide what to ship, hopefully in a few days. Kathy............ Peony "Duchess de Nemoures", very very fragrant, my fav and is in full bloom now.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

That's a beautiful Peony!
It was nice while it lasted, but we are back into the oven, probably until September.

Elodie

Thumbnail by poisondartfrog

Blooming today lily brunella and noid daylily

We are still in the inferno. HIGH 90's all week. UGH!

Beautiful peony. Don't think mine are going to bloom this year. Not a single bud on any of them. Just got too hot too fast I guess.

NOID daylily

Thumbnail by Crit

Brunella. HUGE blooms and a gorgeous color!

Thumbnail by Crit
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

My buddy's boxes arrived at their new home Wednesday, and I hope they have been opened and are okay.

Found this in my garden this morning. Can you believe it's growing in a 10" pot?? ^_^

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

WOW I MISSED Lots of Chat here Looks as this has been a great swap sorry I had to take a break But I'm back to watch you :) .

Also like to INVITE YA To A CRITTER SWAP :)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1190277/

time to get outside before the heat have a great day all .

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Kathy - I am also looking for veronicastrum. I think I have a friend sending me seeds. I will let you know if i get some and can share. ;

In the meantime I GOT MY PACKAGE AND MY PERENNIAL SWAP PARTNER IS SUSAN/FOTV!!!

I don't know how I keep getting so lucky - she was my houseplant swap partner. I was HER birdfeeder swap person. Now the perennial swap. That's what that means-perennial - my forever swap buddy. :)

Here's what she sent and it was so beautifully packaged I was very impressed:

(she was thoughtful enough to put it in writing to me too so all I have to do is copy her list - hee hee)

Artemesia - valerie finnis (this will go in Max's memorial garden)

Aster New England - Honesong Pink (Asters are one of my absolute favorite natives)

Campanula - White clips

Canna Indicia

Iris Immortality - she sent me a picture and it's absolutely gorgeous - this is also for Max

Rubeckia - Cherry Brandy (excited! I have a row of seedlings that are about 1/2" high so I get to see it bloom sooner! I haven't seen them in person but can't wait - have stands and stands of other rudbeckias - love my natives, remember?!)

Sedum Purple Emperor (love purple!)

Verbena Apple Blossom (love verbena!)

She sent me some bonuses too as she is so good at tucking a surprise into her packages:

Columbine seedlings - Fruity I saw the picture yesterday but I only just now noticed the giant Luna moth clinging to the plants. OMG! Thank you - love my natives. :D

Lily Dizzy
Lily Elodie
Lily Marlon

As I don't have much experience with lilies or iris I don't know yet what these named varieties look like, but I'm sure I will love them!

Thank you thank you - and the package took only ONE DAY to get here. Super job Fruity. When I see you next i will give you a big fat sloppy kiss.

A.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

warriorswisdomkathy - if you don't get JoePye in a trade, I will send you a few hunks for postage. Just let me know :) I have PLENTY to share!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Kathy, you won't be disappointed getting Joe Pye roots from minnesippi. They are HUGE! They remind me of Jack's Beanstalk!!

Amanda, you made out on that box of plants, girl. Susan never disappoints either. That same thing happend with Crit and myself for several swaps. She was my buddy for about three of them. Loved it! I wonder if Crit ever found the gallon size of clear nail polish to use on chiggers?? That discussion may have been in the mug swap threads. LOL.

^_^

Amanda - what a great box of plants; Fruity is such a great partner to have. You'll love the lilies - i just ordered Elodie and Dizzy a few days ago.

Carole - what is the name of the pink in the 10 inch pot? That's beautiful!

And Susie? Good to see you back!!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Di -- Thanks. Alas, it's a NOID. And I'm annoyed that I don't know the name (groaner on that word play). ^_^

OHMy what a Beautiful Brug I sure hope I Get Blooms on my this summer. & Thanks Di its been a strange summer , but things are starting to slow down now I HOPE :)
GN ALL

No matter what the name is, it's definitely beautiful - such a pretty color pink. Most of my brugs did so well with overwintering them and then I brought them outside. Yikes - I think it was the extreme heat we had and the fact that I didn't acclimate them better. I still have 5-6 and I'm hoping I get blooms. If I get at least one bloom, I'll consider all the work I did with them worth it.

Nope, never found that gallon of clear nailpolish. It was for Elfie and her chiggers She used chigger x or something and made them tolerable. Someone said on chiggers and mosquito bites, to use antipersperant as it closes the pores. I tried it on some skeeter bites and it did work. I was impressed!

I have Dizzy and Elodie and they are beautiful. Orderd them from the coop this spring.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

That was me with the pit stick :) I even have one in my car...just in case - works great at the ball field for the kids.

2 new blooms for me today in my "americana garden". Just got them a few months ago. I wasn't expecting them to bloom this season :) This one is 'American Freedom'

Thumbnail by minnesippi
brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

This one is 'All American Magic'

Thumbnail by minnesippi
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Lovely pictures, Stephanie.

This is not such a great picture since it is overcast but the Brug is now twins! LOL

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

'Envy' Zinnia

carole save me some seeds from the Zinnia envy Please ???? Cool morning & My Deck is clean Not sure for how long but it is Looking Much better for now & I Plan to Haul some of my Plants out here today so I can keep watch of them better & Keep them fed & Watered :)

they were saying rain but now that has changed & that is ok I WILL OPEN MY SALE >
you all have a great day will be back later this evening.

Nice PLANTS Mine still have not opened yet .

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Will do, Susie. These came from seed and have done very well.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Ya know, I planted these from seed several years ago and was disappointed in the color. The Burpee packaging makes them look like a glowy, neon green. It's a beautiful flower, to be sure. I was just expecting eye popping color. :/

I also planted the pink "Enchantress" and the yellow flavor (name?) and can't do without them now. I also tried the lavender color (which I was also disappointed in - it looked grey) and the purple which looked more lavender. Of course - the photoshopped images on the packet should (!?!) depict the actual flower, shouldn't they?

This year, in Max's Memory Garden I have also planted the white "Purity" I have thinned the pink and white, still haven't gotten to thinning the yellow, but the plants are stout and healthy looking. I have also learned my lesson about where to plant them in this particular yard situation. Nothing but absolute full sunshine, plenty of air circulation, and vigilant about watering. Hope not to have mildew this year.

I'm still learning! :)

A.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

My 'Envy' is brighter green than my picture ... it's a bit washed out from the bright sun. Yah, those zinnias love the full sun ... brutal.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Fruity, my boxes were delivered to my buddy's address on June 15th if you would please mark that up top. Thanks!

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

I just checked the DC number and mine was delivered on Friday. I hope it survived the trip.

The Papaver somniferum are just about finished.

Thumbnail by poisondartfrog

OH ALANA Please save some seeds for me the seeds i planted Nothing came up on them & I Planted thousands of seeds in one area figure that will ya & I Just love the dbls .

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That's a beauty, Alana! ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.