Anyone Ever Used Miracle-Gro All Purpose on Irises...?

Statesville, NC

If you did, what were the results? Did the rhizome rot, did it get leaf spot, etc? I remember back when I first started growing irises that I used some of the All-Purpose Plant food (I was a newbie at the time), and didn't have any problems with it. Do you think maybe it's a good thing to use every few years? Thanks in advance!

Sarah

Taylorsville, KY

Any even fertilizer is fine. You don't want to over-fertilize, because that causes a lot of leaf growth, which may encourage rot, but the fertilizer itself won't. Beardless iris tend to be heavier feeders, thus need more fertilizer, but all irises want a little fertilizer now and then! Miracle Grow is fine.

Sue

Statesville, NC

Sue

I've always been told to use either a 5-10-10 or 10-10-10. I think the Miracle-Gro All-Purpose ratio is 24-8-16. Won't that be too much nitrogen for irises? Thanks

Sarah

Taylorsville, KY

24-8-16 is really for foliage growth, not root and bud formation, so it is not ideal. I would stop using it and switch to a 5-10-10 or even a 2-10-10 would be better. You want the middle number the highest, if you have a choice. But, as long as you aren't using it several times a season, it is not going to kill iris -- you just won't get the bloom you're expecting. I like to use chicken manure tea or a local fertilizer called "Monty's Joy Juice" -- they have a "bloom" formula that I think is 2-15-10 that my iris love. They have a web site.

Sue

Vail, AZ

I use the LiquaFeed bloom booster by Miracle-Gro. It has a 12-9-9 formulation. It feeds evenly and I haven't had a problem with rot or leaf spot using it.

Statesville, NC

I haven't used the all-purpose food in almost 4 years. I got some 4-10-10 bulb food this spring, that was the lowest nitrogen fertilizer that Lowe's had to offer so I got it; haven't seen any negative effects.

I may have to try the Liquafeed bloom booster. Thanks to both of you for the tips!

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

I've read where large gardener iris growers use epsom salts and water as a fert. for their iris.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.