Bunny "balls" for fertilizer

Elba, NY(Zone 6a)

Does anyone use bunny poo for fertilizer for their irises? Heard it was one of the best fertilizers around. Daughter is raising Mini Rex bunnies for 4H so we certainly have an abundance! Been saving up some nice piles to compost down so the hay seeds don't germinate. Heard you could use bunny balls fresh but worried about the hay.

Here's a pic of a couple of the donors!

Thumbnail by dancingbear27
Northern Michigan, MI(Zone 5a)

I've actually thought about getting a couple bunnies just so I have access to all the bunny balls I want for my gardening...lol. I have chickens, but I'm greedy =0)

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

why would they have seeds in the manure if they are fed pellet feed?
I don't think rabbit poo has to be composted, it isn't a hot manure?
There is a lady on the dl forum that uses rabbit manure on her dl and I think she uses it pretty fresh, might jump over and ask her...

Elba, NY(Zone 6a)

My bunnies use litter boxes and the litter boxes have wood stove pellets to absorb the urine and with hay on the top which helps to keep the wet off their feet. The buns like to nibble on the hay and it's actually beneficial for them to eat some of their poo now and again for the beneficial bacteria ( I know eeew...). So when I dump the boxes there is still fresh hay, clover, etc. mingled in with the waste. I think that the buns actually end up eating more hay than pelleted feed, which is better for them anyways (more fiber).

Elba, NY(Zone 6a)

By the way, the last photo shows "Moo" in her litter box. Can you figure out how my daughter figured out what to name her lol!

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

ok, so is there alot of weed seeds in the manure that would sprout in the garden?
I use cow manure and make a tea and strain it through a pillow case to get the seeds out. A lot of trouble though!

Elba, NY(Zone 6a)

That's what I'm thinking because of the hay. The hay has lots of clover, timothy, and unidentified seed heads loose in it and some of them end up uneaten and tossed out in with the litter. Making a tea would work also. Never thought of that!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.