Interesting annuals for winter color?

Smyrna, GA(Zone 7b)

I am working on some beds for winter color. I want to create a dramatic impact with surprising plant choices. I have visions of flowering cabbage and kale. Any other ideas?
Thanks y'all!

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Hmm - I plant Oriental poppies in the fall & the do well in the winter; pansies/violas & snapdragons will survive & flower all winter. There are a few shrubs that bloom in winter - winter honeysuckle is one, but I don't have one (yet)! Camellias bloom in February, then azaleas in late Feb here in zone 8b, but I am not sure when they would bloom for you! There may be others, but that is what I know!
Good luck!!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I love Korean mustard and Nero Di Toscana kale. Both are edible. Look at the seed companies to see other varieties of mustards and kales available. There are many that are both beautiful and delicious. They grow easily and quickly from seed. Few flowering plants provide winter. The closest ones I can think of are violas (Graceful mentioned pansies) and sweet William. Peas, both edible and decorative, come in varying heights and forms and can be planted in February. They will be flowering in late winter and, if you plant edible peas, you will have food by late April or early May.

Dahlonega, GA(Zone 7b)

Take a look at Algerian Iris. And hellebores.

These are perennials, I overlooked the word annual in the thread title.

This message was edited Jul 5, 2011 4:40 PM

Smyrna, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the responses. Been busy with school but I did make an A in the class (seasonal color.)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.