Bud drop help please!

Elba, NY(Zone 6a)

My irises are starting to pop all over. I noticed on my Breakers that the new buds are attached but falling off, dangling by just a string. Never seen this before. So far just on this one plant. Is this just from the horrendous amount of rain we've gotten all spring or should I be treating for a critter/fungus/disease?? Any help is much appreciated!

Sorry for the bad pic. If it's not raining in good old NY, we've been having monsoon force wind! Guess that's to help dry up some of that water!

Thumbnail by dancingbear27
LaFollette, TN(Zone 6a)

I had the same problem with several of my irises...I thought it was probably due to the unusual amount of rainfall during early spring.

Taylorsville, KY

It's the rain. The buds grow too quickly for the stems, which are then too weak to hold up the bud when it starts to swell. So sad!!!

Sue

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

The rain did not kill my buds, but it destroyed the stems. I could not keep them off the ground.

Elba, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm starting to get of few of those too now. Flopped over stems. Been picking those ones up for the vases inside. At least I'll get to enjoy them somehow.

Glad to know it's just the rain and nothing more. Unfortunately, so far that seem to be all we've been having this spring!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.