Help with Bill McKenzie seedlings

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Boy, I did not know there was a Clematis forum, great. Saw what appears to be a newer strain of Clematis - Bill McKenzie. Could not find any plants to buy but did find some seeds. Read somewhere they might take up to 3 years to germinate. Mine came up in 2 weeks. Now, what do I do? Put them each into an individual pot? Plant outside? They are tiny. No true leaves yet. Any help will be appreciated.

Athens, PA

What did you end up doing? I would have put them outside. Have you gotten any more leaves yet on your seeds?

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

They are stil inside under lights. About 3-4 leaves per plant so far. Yes, they will go outside shortly.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

You will harden them off very well, won't you?

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

That's part of my question - any special way I should go from small seed pot indoors to outside in the ground?

Dappled shade (no sun at all) for a few days, then partial sun for a few days, then where it will grow for a few days until you're positive of those spots. If, at any point, the leaves start to burn go back a step to more shade.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

OK, I'll start with them on the back porch and work up to full sun.

Good luck. Go very slowly and let us know how it works out for you. The new leaves will be very sensitive to full sun.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

OK, I just put 1/2 of my seedlings out where I want them to grow. Keep back 1/2 on porch just in case. Each about 3-4" high with 5 leaves. Suppose it wouldn't hurt to put some wire/cage over them to discourgae the rabbits.

You did a very slow transition to the garden, right?

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Time will tell.

You moved them very gradually from shade to where you want them. That's the point I was trying to get across.

Their leaves are very tender so they shouldn't be in hot sun.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Just to check, here is one pix of one group that I have moved outside. Someone please tell me they look like Clematis.

Thumbnail by gasrocks
Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=439
It looks like the same leaves.
Love your DG name...almost frightened too ask how you came up with it!

Very funny about the DG name, Banana!

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm gas_rocks on eBay, gasrocks on any photography forum. My initials are GAS and I collect rocks - eBay came up with that idea long ago. I usually tell people my initials are GAS and then not mention the collection.

This message was edited Jul 1, 2011 10:33 AM

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Ok, that's kosher! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the explanation, GAS.

I was having visions of the scene in Blazing Saddles around the campfire.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I do not remember much about that movie expect wasn't there a total of one word spoken?

Not much dialogue in the scene but lots of bodily noises.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

OK, my 2 clumps of vines are doing well. Longest is about 10 inches long. Not sure how long/big they can get before frost hits here. Since they are new and small, should I cover them up for the winter?

Athens, PA

I wouldn't cover them for the winter. Let nature take it's course - your plants will be healthier for it.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Update: Seedlings spent winter outdoors in a pot, covered. Planted them this Spring. They are now 7 foot tall on the south side of my porch with about 30 blooms. Yeah. Not a typical Clematis bloom at all. Yellow bells that hang down. Seeds are inside fuzzy balls. Now, I am debating on collecting seed or not.

Wowser! Seven feet tall! You did everything right. Congratulations.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

You have the magic touch! With those results you have a popular trade item.

Looks like a lovely clematis!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/69967/

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

The fuzzy balls that are the seed heads. How come Dave's says that the seeds are sterile? I grew this plant from seed. Guess I should try to keep some and see if anything sprouts next year.

Thumbnail by gasrocks

Not everything on PlantFiles is 100% accurate.

This could be some interesting reading for you on your clematis:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/clematis/msg03131419657.html?20

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Good read, thanks.

Personally, I wouldn't be dissuaded by anything you read about raising them from seed. Maybe others had no luck or perhaps they are sterile. You'll find out.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Update - I just collected 28 of those puff ball seed heads. Been watching the seeds and they are now dry and starting to fly away. My plan is freezer for a month (kills bugs if nothing else.) Then refrig. Think I'll plant them (under lights) about Feb/March. Am I on the right track? Send me a D-mail if anyone wants some now or later.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.