ORVG Coffee House #189 June and a little Taste of Summer

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1177244/

Two "Common Gardener" Garden Tours this month and one working thru the Summer.
June 5th
http://www.andersontownship.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=jKnc-QTQYZA%3D&tabid=839
http://www.andersontownship.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=EdgSydzYqEo%3D&tabid=839

June 11
http://www.gchostas.info/assets/eastside_garden_tour.pdf

Meyer Aquascapes Pondarama

Presented by Meyer Aquascapes

6 dates & times (see complete schedule below)

Self-guided tour of of 15 streams, waterfalls and ponds at private residences. Each month, a different area is featured. Maps and information at website.
Price

Free
Venue

Meyer Aquascapes
11011 Sand Run Road
Harrison, OH 45030
513-941-8500
http://www.aquascapes.com
Schedule
Saturday, June 11, 2011
West Cincinnati/Boone County. 9:00 am- 5:00 pm
Sunday, June 12, 2011
West Cincinnati/Boone County. 9:00 am- 5:00 pm
Saturday, July 16, 2011
Eastside Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky. 9:00 am- 5:00 pm
Sunday, July 17, 2011
Eastside Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky. 9:00 am- 5:00 pm
Saturday, August 6, 2011
Central/North Cincinnati. 9:00 am- 5:00 pm
Sunday, August 7, 2011
Central/North Cincinnati. 9:00 am- 5:00 pm

This message was edited Jun 4, 2011 7:50 AM

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the new thread Ric. The tours sound interesting, but I probably won't get to go.

Bright and sunny today, but hot later on. Means I need to go out and get some work done before it gets too hot.

Columbus, OH

Me too, Bonnie. I have a big soap show tomorrow, so I need to pour some candles and cuticle cream, I'll do that inside later on, when it's hot outdoors. The heat and moisture makes my tropicals grow like gangbusters, thought...my Basjoo banana is growing 6" a day.

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Ric, for the info. I think DH and I will definitely be going on the pond tours.

Celene - gotta tell you that I love that whipped shea butter! My hands have already seen a definite improvement. You can count on me ordering when I get done with this jar.

Columbus, OH

Glad you liked it!

Celene, count me among the satisfied customers. I got the gardener's handsoap, and my what a difference it makes in getting them completely clean. I don't have to bleach anymore. A cheap pair of gloves would help my situation, but I seldom think of wearing them till I am outside and already into a big job.

well the little kitty didn't make it. We felt it was best to put him down. he was having seizures . just wasn't thriving at all.
poor thing. hated to do it , but i had to make a choice
gave savannah a hug from you Bonnie. she says thank you.
well we did farmers market
then ran to baseball for austin
came home
dinner
watered
feed animals
i think i m heading for the new hammock
later

Columbus, OH

Sorry to hear about the kitty, Sue. Nothing good causes a neonate to have seizures, it was probably a good thing.

Sorry to hear about the kitty, Sue. Savannah sure did seem like she was getting real attached to him - definitely feel for her. DH and I have been hanging out in Oxford this evening. Now that Miami is out we can go back up there, have dinner and be townies again :)

She wrote him a 2 page letter telling him how much she will miss him.... . broke my heart.
i just can't believe how much the vet charged me !! $87.00 .
Celene do you think that is way out of line or right there in the general price range ? it just seemed a bit hight to me ? but i have never had to put a kitty down.
so we have 3 left
1 will go to Jess when she moves out on her own.
one litty is for austin
we shall see if savannah wants the other one ? that one is the chunk !!
Austin is sitting with me reading as i type.
storm is coming in seems we may get a bunch of lightening
hopefully no hail will come but i parked in the carport anyway just in case.
good night

Sue, I am so sorry about the kitty. It is never easy losing a pet, and this is a good lesson for Savannah to learn early. You love them and do what you can for them, but sometimes it isn't enough.

I had to drive to Louisville this morning for a part for the swimming pool pump. Got back and DH installed it, and then I vacuumed and cleaned. Should be good to go now. it was hotter than blue blazes today. Last I heard 96. Needless to say, I didn't get out and work in that kind of heat. Still have about 1/4 of the shrubbery to finish trimming, but am hoping that I will get out one morning early and get that job done.

Went out to eat tonight, and then home to do church bulletins and get ready for church tomorrow. Hope the storms don't hit, but we are seeing warnings on our tv, not for this area, but north in Indiana and in Ohio. Stay safe everyone.

wow Bonnie 96 ! stay cool girl.
glad you have a pool to cool off in. i m heading your direction !
good morning
well that hammock felt great last night with a glass of wine and lots of bug spray on me LOL
going to strawberry festival today with jess.
kids are swimming at neighbors for the day.
other than that .. ?
bbl

Columbus, OH

Sue, we'd have just charged the euthanasia fee, but we build ours so that it includes an office call if needed. An office call + euthanasia would've been about $80 or so, and we don't charge for care of remains on animals who are so small.

ok so it was a fair price , i was just wondering if that was to high a price for something of a little kittty . good to know. It was worth spending the money so he wouldn't have to suffer anymore.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

About in line w/ here too Sue.

The tour was GREAT!
Ran into Tabasco at our second stop.
We picked up some nice Tuberous Begonias there are rock bottom prices.
All 2 1/2" pots were 2 dollars... gallons 5 bucks!

Also got Heuchera 'Petite Pearl Fairy' at another stop.
This is a 2 1/2" TALL Heuchera! Looks great w/ the miniature Hostas.

Has what my Friend Sidney calls a 6" rain here.... that's one drop every 6".
Watering the containers now...... errrrr!

Thumbnail by henryr10

which tour did you do Ric ? man i wish i could have gone.
neat pic
did strawberry festival today
hot , humid
crowded
but a good time with Jess.
Kittys are doing good.
finely got the one kitty to eat out of the bowl
will get some more forumula for drinking
slowly adding water.
they seem to like to swim in it rather then drink it

Sue, oh the joys of introducing wee kitties or puppies either to eating out of a bowl. They usually get more on them than in them!

Went to church then home for lunch. Seemed like a day where everywhere I turned somone wanted to argue, even at church. We have a lady who is beginning to lose her memory, and we rotate Sunday School teachers each month, and she was to take over the primary class, but she claimed she didnt know anything about it. We have a schedule, so all she would have had to do was look at the schedule. Anyway, I did an extra week of it, and she will take over next week. Came home and DS SO was here using the pool, and we had words, over things that had been going on for awhile. Guess the tiff at church had me in the mood to speak my mind! All is good though. Sure hope tomorrow is a better day.

Ric, tour sounds good. Glad you brought home some "trophy" plants to enjoy.

Sue, what goes on at the strawberry festival? Just a community thing where they have people setting up booths and selling stuff, like crafts?

Well going to head to bed, I am stiff and sore and my back has started to hurt, so need to lay these bones down.

Waddy, KY

Certainly must have been in the air. This household was nothing but blowups Sunday too. Everybody's got their backs up, can't say a civil word to each other and what a mess. I live with totally stupid people.

Aww Janet, maybe we need a place to send the stupid people, until they regain their sanity. But please, not at my house!!

Columbus, OH

Let's send them to my mother's barn. Let them shovel something till they get over their case of the stupids.

LOL Celene.
good morning i sure hope you ladies get a better day in today with family. Heat can do funny things to our heads. :)
Strawberry Festival is a huge thing in Miami valley and thousands come to it.
pretty good food
venders with all kinds of neat stuff. i got a new knife made out of zebra wood.
and a Ohio state shirt for tim for fathers day. so when he gets back i have a gift for him.
hope it fits him ?
off and running
bbl

Celene, so many people are born stupid, and despite all the money education can buy, they still remain stupid.

Thanks for the explanation Sue, sounds like a very good festival, with lots of neat things.

Waddy, KY

Actually I could sent them each to their own here with a pitchfork. I think a 2X4 may work better....

Well, Janet...when you're done with the pitchforks and 2X4's can you send them my way? DS is getting married in August and I think I may need some of those for a few choice individuals in the bride's family....durn..

Ric, sounds like it was a great tour with goodies. Wish we could've gone but Tom just wasn't up to much of anything this weekend.

School is out here but college girl goes back for summer classes starting today. So I still have one kid lying around looking at me wanting me to provide entertainment. I just want them to provide some helping out around the house but that's too much to ask. Maybe I need Janet's 2X4's now instead of in August.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning all!
And I thought it was just at MY house...LOL!!
Things get put away here in the fall, and then they suddenly disappear in the spring! I don't love it!
Worked outside as much as I could yesterday...got things planted...still more to go. I ought to be done by fall.
I just can't seem to get into things this year , since it was such a lousy spring.
Our neighbor passed away the other night. They found him outside on the ground. He had a heart attack. 62 yrs old. He hadn't been in good health, though, for a long time. So...tonight it's to the funeral home for viewing. Tomorrow he gets a full honor military funeral. He had been a marine.
Well...late getting up this morning...so I best get at it!
Edited to say...haven't the roses been beautiful this year??????? Everywhere I go, they are just filled with blooms. I'm sure it was the weather.

This message was edited Jun 6, 2011 9:16 AM

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Well...guess not! I edited last post so I could say that about the roses..and was going to add a picture...but it didn't give me that option!
Anyway...

Thumbnail by Marcy_1

Yep, Marcy, I have to agree with you on the roses - they are gorgeous this year - everywhere you turn there are beautiful roses blooming. Mine are doing great as well and the blooms are so pretty. I pruned them heavily and wondered how they'd turn out but I think it's such a banner year for roses that they turned out okay.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

My picture is very light...sorry. That's because I have a new cam...and haven't learned to use it properly yet...lol. Can't seem to find time to read directions!!!

Marcy, even if you had time to read the directions,most are so complicated you are more confused after reading them.

Janna, any help around the house would be good, whether a teen or an adult, but a maid would be better.

Marcy i m so sorry to hear the news of your neighbor.
not much going on here.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sad news Marcy.

There are two more tours this weekend around here if any one is interested.

Cooler today...only 88°...lol!

90's tomorrow.

Barberton, OH

Yes, roses are beautiful this year. Looks like another good year for hydrangeas. too. Last year they were spectacular.
Visited the EX yesterday. So sad! They take her out and bring her back through the garage. No time to enjoy her flowers. Her favorite rose, Cherry Parfait is blooming and she didn't even know it. It is right in front of the porch. I walked her around the garden, but the ground so dry I couldn't even pull a weed. I was hoping i could find a Matts Wild Cherry tomato seedling, but they would need a jackhammer to break through. I have to get over more often. It's my garden, too
Herman

Barberton, OH

Cherry Parfait, form lsat year

Thumbnail by salix_man
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks to you all on my neighbor. He was a good guy. His longtime companion, Kathy, was an emotional wreck...as expected. His mother seemed to be doing ok though. Not sure it had really hit her yet.
He always enjoyed my gardens...would tell me every time we would see each other. He always called me 'neighbor'...and never by my name....lol. We will miss him.
Bonnie...you are soo right on those directions! Guess that's why I never finished reading them. I keep trying to read them...and they don't seem to make much sense to me...so I lay them back down again...and think...oh well...I'll read them again when my mind isn't so tired...hahaha..when is that??????
Ok...heading outside to get busy here...lots to do..as usual.
Have a great day all!

This is Zephrine Droughn..however it's spelled..lol.... on the arbor. To the left are yellow knockouts. Down behind the garage are ..first...the dark red...which is a rose that reverted to Dr. Huey I think....then red knockouts.

Edited to say....that rose above is beautiful , Herman! So sorry your ex didn't get to see it.

This message was edited Jun 7, 2011 9:36 AM

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Well duh...guess that pic doesn't show the ones behind the garage!
Oh mercy...too early in the day to be losin it! LOL!
Let me try again!
I think that first one...where you see a little pink..then all that dark red...was a Nearly Wild..that reverted.
Ok..now I'm done!

Thumbnail by Marcy_1

Beautiful Marcy. I have a rambler blooming now, and a Hybrid Tea that was given to me by my BIL. The rambler is pink and the Tea is a deep red, oh, and I have 3 knockouts blooming also.

My magnolia trees are starting to bloom, and oh what an aroma out in the yard. I am trimming shrubbery again today, forgot about the shrubs on the other side of the garage, and thought before I put up the equipment will get them done. Hauled off 3 big wheelbarrow full of the trimmings from the front and side of the house. I am picking up the trimmings as I go along beside the garage.

Marcy, didn't comment on your neighbor, but I am sure it was a shock to everybody, and I am sure he will be missed.

Beautiful roses - I like them both.

Herman, you'd think after all that rain we've had the ground would have a bit of 'softness' to it but not mine. It's already starting to crack where I don't have any mulch. Durn.

GOOD afternon.
hot hot and more hot
was outside digging holes to get some 3 gal size plants in.
got a huge zebra grass in. the wind broke all the grass on it :( so i cut it and planted it.
the smaller ones are next in the ground or may just winter over in pots but upgrade to two gal.
Jess and i are doing very good. We are actually having fun together. We have never done that !! wow.
she has come such a long way, we both have.
she helped dig some holes for me and is the official kitty sitter.
great pics of the gardens and roses. Sure wish i had some but i think the deer would eat them ?
welp gonna go rest

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sue we had a little talk w/ Jess at the RU.
She was describing how she defended going to the RU (and not having cell service for a day) to her Friends.
Basically she wanted to see all these people her Mom found important and why.
It was pretty refreshing.
Sounds like she's finally 'getting it'. Some just take a bit of growing up... to grow up.
Sure she's edgy.... but Mom....LOL!

i have no idea what your talking about Ric ? !! ..... LOLLL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.