best hydrangea for this spot?

Pittsburgh, PA

I would love hydangeas by the side of my patio. However, there is no morning sun and then3 hours of hot afternoon sun.
Will any hydrangea grow with these circumstances? If so, give me a suggestion. Would love lacecap and it can't get really large.
thanks..

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The cultivars of H. paniculata and H. arborescens can take more sun than the macrophylla's, but they aren't lacecaps. You'll also need to watch out for the size--some of them will get too big for you. In your area you might be able to get a way with a macrophylla getting some afternoon sun--hopefully someone from your part of the country will chime in with some experience. If you were farther south I'd say definitely not, but where you are they can definitely handle more sun than they can in hotter climates.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Hydrangea arborescens Radiata is a 5' by 5' version of Hydrangea Annabelle. Hydrangea arborescens White Dome is another choice; it grows about the same (3' to 5' tall depending on the length of your growing season.

If you want to choose macrophyllas, you can try a few macs in containers to see how they do in that location. If the location causes you problems, move them to a shadier spot. Examples: Altona, Ayesha, Lanarth White, Lilacina, Seafoam, Tokyo Delight

If these macs were to get too much sun, you would notice that the leaves in direct contact with the sun would turn all yellow, including the leaf veins. Sepals can also brown out if the plant is stressed by this problem.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.