Cedron plant [ spelling ]

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

This is an herb used for making tea . It took me a while to find in USA , but I have one now - flowering / seeds - . How do I collect ? Any other info would be nice also .
I will try to post a picture of it . [ if camera works TODAY .]

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

I have one that looks exactly like yours but i call it Lemon Verbena. The leaves smell exactly like lemons and in tea or water they give a lemony taste. Does yours smell like lemons, too? Crush a leaf and you will get a heady lemon aroma, if it is what I think it is. They do flower, but I think it is way better to take cuttings than try to save seeds. Not sure you can. I grow mine in a pot and take it into the GH in winter, but you could just plant yours in the ground and it would grow quite tall, I'm pretty sure.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I would agree with it being Lemon verbena. I suspect Cedron ~ would also be Citron for the citrus fragrance of this plant.

I have never saved seed on mine and not had luck with cuttings either.

In this zone, I move mine in the greenhouse over winter but would agree with beebonnet, unless you see a rare temperature dip, this plant should do well in the ground for you.

This message was edited Jun 5, 2011 6:26 AM

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks , I just checked again , the 1st picture I got on amazon did not look like it . Others do .
I got the plant last year and as soon as the leaves got big , people took them . I had in green hot / cold frame and put back in yard in March , behind the angles trumpets - any way - people wanted more leaves and when I checked it had flowers .
5 people have already asked for seeds . Now that I know the name , I can at least order seeds or plants .

Central Valley, CA(Zone 9b)

Funny, I think of lemon verbena as having more of a citral taste, and lemon balm and lemongrass as having a citronella flavor...which I'm not fond of. Love lemon, and lemon verbena, though!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Someone years ago described lemon balm as a lemon pledge smell. That has stuck with me. Guess I meant citrus fragrance, not citronella. Need to edit that.

How are you Cyra ~ good to see you posting again.

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

Don't know how I missed choose file - looking for attach
Yes I know there is flair in shot , but was afraid rain would mess with flower / leaves - it did .

Thumbnail by tonyjr

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.