Katsura seedlings care

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I like my one Katsura tree. Cercidiphyllum Japonicum. Read that often seedlings wll grow faster than a small tree transplanted. Got some seeds. Surface sown, under artifical light. Now some things are emerging. How soon should I remove them from the seed tray and transfer to their own pot? How soon to put them outside ? Any help will be apreciated.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

OK so far. They are out on the porch. Biggest is 3" tall with 5 leaves. I'm going to put them in bigger pots and outside in the shade to start with. Keep some on porch for now.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Show pics Show pics Show pics Show pics...

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

OK, 2 biggest so far. Hope they are Katsura.

Thumbnail by gasrocks
Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

And.... If anyone can verify the ID of these, please do.

This message was edited Jun 29, 2011 8:34 AM

Thumbnail by gasrocks

I'll let someone else burst the bubble...

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

They do not look like my Katsura tree, for sure. Upon closer inspection, the other seedlings (that I have not moved to larger pots yet) do have heart shaped leaves. Maybe there is a Katsura there somewhere.

This message was edited Jun 30, 2011 6:50 AM

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

They look like something from the nightshade family, Solanaceae

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

(A joke) They must be something evil as they are growing like "weeds."

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Follow up: I have 2 nice looking Katsura seedlings now, 6" and 4" tall, still in a pot. I think I'll leave them on my unheated porch for the winter. I shall insulate the pot somewhat. Nice trees but I am not sure it was worth the effort to raise them from seed. Next Spring may tell me more.

Every experience is worth something - even if it is gaining the knowledge not to repeat it.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Well put.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

VV very wise plantpeople. :-D

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I am a photographer. I can appreciate how different lenses can deliver different results. Problem with the net is you can read how one person loves lens X while the next hates it. Starting 4 years ago I decided the only way I would know what lens is for me is to buy one, hold it in my hand, use it, look at the results. Nothing like first hand experience. Now, 400 lenses later, I have narrowed my personal collection down to 88 lenses but will sell more (I need the money.) Might finally settle for 55 or so. Great learning experience. I have tried ferns more than once but I now know they are not for me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.