Help with identifying spots on peony leaves

Galesburg, MI(Zone 6a)

My peonies had been looking beautiful and are just starting to bloom. But I went out today and my newest peony has spots all over the leaves. And it came on really fast. I checked on them about 2-3 days ago and they were fine. Doesn't look like the pics of botrytis that I have seen online so I figured I would check in here to see if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks!

Thumbnail by kellydz
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Kelly, I'm no expert, but I have a question. Did it rain, and then get very hot where you are (we had a day last week where temps soared near 90). It doesn't look like disease to me. It looks like there were droplets on the leaves, and the magnifying effect from very hot sun burned them. I've seen the same thing on lily leaves in hot bright locations. And NOOOO! It's not botrytis. That would be hard to miss.

Keep an eye on them to see if it spreads, but I think you'll find that they're OK.

Donna

Galesburg, MI(Zone 6a)

I had considered that Donna and it is a possibility. There was a very hot day last week where my daughter moved the sprinkler and got those plants wet. But there are leaves where the damage is much worse so I was concerned that it is something else. This picture is blurry but shows some of the more extensive damage. Could it still be from that in your opinion?

Thumbnail by kellydz
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I do think so. Unless it spreads. My Casa Blanca lilies had very similar burns on the stems in 90 degree weather. There is no harm in trimming the damage, since the burned sections cannot help with nurturing the plants.

If it spreads we can put our heads together and figure out what the problem is and what the cure could be. Between us, we'll figure it out.

Donna

Galesburg, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks so much for your advice Donna. I went out and looked again today and I think you are on the right track. It doesn't seem to be spreading at all and when I step back from the plant it definitely looks like the damage follows a sprinkler spray pattern. Really puts my mind at ease so thanks very much!!!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm so glad. We wait all year for them to bloom and it's so disappointing when there are problems. After all, we wait all year for these beauties. Congratulations.

Kansas City, MO

If you worry about how the plant appears you or your daughter can take a pair of clippers and remove the individual leaves.

I have had this happen on my plants from rain. Last year was really wet, here, and temps went into the upper 90's and some of the leaves on several plant tops cooked including some peony seeds that popped open and dried.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.