Berea Plant Swap June 11, 2011 (Berea, Kentucky)

Gettysburg, PA(Zone 6b)

The Berea Plant Swap (2nd Annual) will take place on June 11, 2011, at my house. Event will start at 10am and a potluck lunch will commence at noon. Veteran and newbie traders welcome; if you do not have plants or other garden things to swap, bring food and take some plants. There is always enough to go around.

Post here that you are attending, and I will send you directions to the swap.

It is also listed at the "other site" -- if you'd like to take a peek there too, my have list may be more up to date, and maybe see other folks lists from over there. Am trying to keep mine sorted in both places...but alas, not perfect. There is a pre-arranged trades thread over there too, and we can certainly do the same thing right here, too.

Hope you can come!
--Tina

Thumbnail by kilngod
Gettysburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Last year we had about a dozen traders, and a good time was had by all. This year the local turn out is sounding even more promising so far. Hope you can join us!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks for inviting all of us! It sounds like it will be a fun day.

I hope some ORVers can stop by and say Hello! I know there are some KY posters on this forum...

(I think that Berea is only about 125 miles from Cincinnati and there is that lovely tavern there...and Berea College too.)

Gettysburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Folks are getting in touch today for the address, so I'll keep checking back through tonight for anyone who needs help with directions.

Thanks for the extra advertizing Tabasco. In addition -- there are TONS of craft galleries. I teach ceramics at Berea College, so I'll toot the horn of my apprentice program too. There is a student crafts program here, and a gallery space downtown devoted entirely to their artworks. You can see students making the wares right there on site -- pottery, weaving, jewelry, wood, broom-making. Their work is pretty great, very affordable, and sales help support needy students' education. Berea has free tuition for all students.

The last gal that got in touch (from GW) is coming with her sister and a truckful of plants. yay! This is gonna be loads of fun.

Ok, back out to dig.

--tina

This message was edited Jun 13, 2011 10:15 PM

Thumbnail by kilngod
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Wish we could visit with you all. It's just a bit far for us right now.

Hubby's niece graduated from Berea a few years ago. :)

Beautiful pottery, tina!

You must be very talented to teach in such an esteemed program. I had heard much about Berea arts and crafts when I lived in San Francisco, even before we lived here!

Gettysburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you, tabasco! So dear! It's wonderful to hear of our program's reach - even as far as SanFran. I will pass the completments to the director of the whole Student Crafts program (he may be here tomorrow actually).

Badseed -- did she graduate before 2008? I only arrived fall of 07...

I've prepped about 120 pots of things. Egads, I'm tired. Still have to label it all in the morning.

It's going to be a beautiful day -- Can't wait! Will give report when it's all through.

Thanks for the love everyone. Wish we were closer.
--Tina

This message was edited Jun 10, 2011 9:17 PM

South Point, OH(Zone 6a)

I usually just lurk, but I have been hoping for an update to this miniRU. Did you have a great time? Pictures?

Waddy, KY

My son just graduated from Berea. He loved every minute there and probably wishes he was still there!

Janet

LOL. Why?! is he home for the summer with Mom?!

Congratulations on your graduate! Always an important passage, both for student and parent!

Gettysburg, PA(Zone 6b)

It was a great time! I didn't get any pictures though (what a shame!)...I will get better about that for future.

We had 21 people this year, lots and lots of plants (I put out about 120 myself), some professional greenhouse quality plants in addition to the standard perennial divisions and extra annuals. I managed to give away about 80+ things, and got about 15 new things for me (just the balance I like, as the gardens are getting full).

Potluck lunch was lovely, a good balance of things to eat, and the event emptied out at about 3pm. Wonderful company all around. Weather was perfect, and the little rain only came after everyone was gone. Attendance seems to double each year, so hope to see some of you for the third annual event next year. I will post an announcement much earlier next spring, and maybe that will help you (each of you) to attend!

:)

Oh, I would love to get to that next year! How 'bout you Esther?!

That sounds like a grand time was had by all!

Don't forget to post about it on the ORV thread next year!

Waddy, KY

Ah Tina, although my dear son is born and raised farm his heart lies not with the tractor and cattle stick! Early mornings and days until ten in the evening is not what he sees in his future. Alas, he's unemployed at this point and he's holding his cards very close to his chest. We'll just have to see where life takes him.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Tina,

Sorry I didn't answer your question sooner. I think I'm really embarrassed now. Time has flown by. I always think of my husband's nieces and nephews as kids when most of them are only a few years younger than me. LOL It's been quite a few years since his niece graduated. She's married with 2 cute little boys now. It must have been the mid to late 90's when she graduated. Now I suddenly feel old. LOL

It sounds like you had a very nice get together! Do make sure to invite us all next year. My life is crazy so I don't know about traveling more than an hour away (and of course my children have schedules more important than mine. ha!) but there are several members in Cincinnati and No KY and I'm sure they would love to attend. There are also a few members that don't care how far away something is if they want to go. :)

Michele

Well, perhaps your recent graduate can get together with my son and they can compare job hunting notes!

Actually I am enjoying having our son here at home with us. And I hope you will too!

Gettysburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Michele, No need to feel embarrassed. I understand time flying. Shoot, I recently wrote "2001" when I was writing a date for the current year. wow.

--Tina

This message was edited May 29, 2012 11:53 AM

Gettysburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi All,
The Berea Plant Swap is this coming Saturday, June 2nd -- and since we are moving very far away (Pennsylvainia instead of just down the road here in KY), nearly the whole garden will be given away. Traders or Needers are welcome!

More info at this thread:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1261747/

--Tina

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.