Two Clematis on Same Trellis?

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I have a Rosemoor Clematis on a trellis. Would it be ok to plant an Avant Garde Clematis close to it so it can grow on the same trellis? ...or should I put the new plant some place else?

Thanks!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

How wide and tall is the trellis?

Avant Garde is a group 3 - no pruning.

Rosemoor is group 2 - prune immediately after flowering.

Generally it's easier to plant two of the same pruning group on a trellis to keep things easier.

The trellis isn't very wide. I think I'll get another one. These plants get confusing with all the different pruning groups. I need to start making notes

Any excuse to buy another clematis works for me!

Here's the pruning group 2:
http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/search/results.html?search_in_description=1&ignore_special_flag=1&keyword=group+2

Thanks so much. I'm starting to collect them. It's addictive!

Gee, I wonder why?

White ones are often dismissed but they are so gorgeous.

Come join us on some of the other clematis threads.

Thumbnail by pirl
Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I plant clematis together all the time. It's easier to keep the same pruning type together but other than that your creativity is the limit. I have mixed types, but I keep very detailed records and refer to them before I start cutting.
In my experience you can plant them within 10 inches of each other in the ground and their roots will spread in opposite directions and do fine. I have planted two together in half barrels; they did fine the first two years and then needed more room so I had to transplant them.
In my experience clematis are very hardy and hard to kill.
Here is Belle of Wokin & Niobe growing up a poarch post together.

This message was edited Jun 3, 2011 4:49 AM

Thumbnail by mstish

That is beautiful. I'll have to try that next!

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ok on the pruning tip stuff. If it has already bloomed should I prune it back now? I am assuming that is a group 1.

You can always prune back any clematis with anything dead or weak looking to encourage branching.

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

Pirl, what's the name of the white one. I have a white NOID that looks very similar.

Thumbnail by SongsofJoy

It's 'Candida Lanuginosa' but often sold as just 'Candida' now, Christina.

We've had such a cool spring that 'Candida' and 'Henryi' are just coming into bloom with their first blossoms now.

Thanks! Your photo is gorgeous. Do you think mine is the same?

It seems all of mine that all of my early bloomers are done. I now have to wait and see if the later ones will bloom. When does Ville de Lyon bloom? I am thinking I have it in too much sun. My card says part sun.

This message was edited Jun 11, 2011 7:51 PM

It easily could be, Christina, but I'm just not good enough at identifying clematises to give a definite "yes". When did yours begin to bloom?

I'm waiting on many of mine that normally bloom with lupines and irises at the end of May, Marie.

I was trying to remember when my Josephine bloomed last year. Well I can tell that it bloomed before May 30th because the pool cover is still on. There have been no blooms this year.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

It's just starting to bloom now.

Doesn't your photo program put a date on the photo? I'd be lost without that feature.

Last year we had such a warm and early spring that all clematises had finished blooming by the end of May and here it is almost mid-June and I'm just getting started with several of them.

My Josephine ended up being another pink variety. I bought two and one was wrong, the other one died. I'm jinxed.

So I can still hope for some nice blooms. I hope so, I do love to see Josephine bloom.

Christina - we cross posted, sorry.

Mine is also just starting to bloom now so I guess 'Candida' is an excellent possibility for yours.

Me, too, Marie though it won't happen here until I get the real Josephine!

I hope you get one this year, she is so pretty.

I think I'll go with it then, LOL. Thanks, Arlene!

Marie - maybe the third try will be my lucky one with Josephine.

Christina - glad I could help and only hope it's right. I can eliminate the ones it can't be if that's of any use at all!

Well, I've had it for probably 12 or more years and haven't known it's name all this time. It's one of the first things I bought when I started gardening and, being a novice, didn't realize that the specific variety mattered. So even having a "maybe" name is better than nothing :)
I really want to move it because it's in a bad spot, but I hate to miss out on a year of blooms.

Mine is in much more shade than sun and I love it there since it brightens up the area.

I'd move it when it goes dormant in fall if I were you.

At the start I didn't keep names either. My daughter still won't keep names but insists on knowing exactly which cultivar I have of certain plants so she can buy them! Very confusing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.