How to get jackmanii to climb up post?

Maynard, MA

Now that I've moved to a place with sun, I finally got my first 2 clematis--both are jackmanii. I planted them on either side of a wood post that has metal attachments at the top for hanging bird feeders and/or plants. Then, I anchored vinyl string in the ground and tied it to the lower part of the post. The jackmanii are climbing on the string and have recently "arrived" at the post. Now, how do I get them to climb up? I am assume they won't surround the post and climb it unless they have something thin to cling to--is that correct? If so, would wrapping more vinyl cord around the pole work? If the cord is pulled tightly around the pole, will the clematis be able to grab it or does it have to be loose somehow? I noticed one person was using chicken wire. That seems kind of ugly for my particular situation, though I suppose I could try painting it white (the color of the post) if that's what people think will work best. Any suggestions?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

A photo of the wood posts would be very helpful.

There is a clear vinyl you could cut to fit (leave it a bit loose) and staple it to the wood. The Jackmanii's would climb it easily.

Maynard, MA

Here's a photo of the pole:

Thumbnail by ShaynaPearl
Maynard, MA

Here's a close up of the jackmanii at the base of the pole:

Thumbnail by ShaynaPearl

Seems like a great post for clear vinyl netting to be tacked onto and that Jackmanii will zoom and cover the entire top. It's not shy.

You can use vinyl string if you wish.

Here's just one Jackmanii next to a 9' vegetable garden gate. It has been cut back since that photo was taken, 5/28, but will get to 14' and be cut back over and over again. You could probably dig up the other Jackmanii and put it in another spot if you want color someplace else.

Thumbnail by pirl
Maynard, MA

Thanks, Perl! I'll tack up vinyl string netting and see if I can carve out a spot in my sun garden for the other jackmanii. I can't wait for the first blooms!

You might want to dig the hole for the clematis you'll transplant before you actually dig it up. Add manure, bone meal and compost - mix it well. Put the Jackmanii in the hole, covering it with 2 to 3" of soil/compost/manure, and angle it towards a post or whatever you'll having it growing on and then water it well. Protect the root zone (that faces the sun) with a rock, or a broken piece of pottery (even a broken pot) and then just wait for flowers. Do not keep it drenching wet. Clematis can rot in drenching soil. They want cool and moist roots.

You can give it a drink of warm water (not hot) with 1 tablespoon of Epsom Salt to a gallon of water - share that water between the two clematises.

Keep us up to date on your progress. We're all "rooting" for you!

Thumbnail by pirl
Maynard, MA

Quote from pirl :
Do not keep it drenching wet. Clematis can rot in drenching soil. They want cool and moist roots. [/quote]
Yikes! I'm used to planting shrubs (not delicate perennials), where daily watering for 2 months following their purchase is necessary to help them take root in their new homes. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote from pirl :
You can give it a drink of warm water (not hot) with 1 tablespoon of Epsom Salt to a gallon of water - share that water between the two clematises.

Really?!! Whatever for? (And did you mean that I should do it just once since they are transplants or on a regular basis?)

[quote="pirl"] We're all "rooting" for you!

Thanks!

Compost in the planting hole will help the roots retain moisture. It's really your best friend in the garden.

Calcium and magnesium. Read some other clematis threads and you'll see the success people have had with it.

You're welcome.

Here's Omoshiro to tempt you to buy more clematises.

Thumbnail by pirl
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Is this your new one this year pirl? My Omoshiro came in looking good. Now I am waiting for some new growth to start.

My new ones are not even in bud, Marie. I'm also waiting for them to grow.

It is strange that they came in with buds , but once we planted them, no growth or buds. Mine are finally starting to put out some new growth so I am hoping to see at least one bloom this summer.

Three of mine came with buds and two were blooming inside and were true to name but the bloom on the third one puzzled the nursery where I bought it (not Brushwood) and they sent a replacement.

Oh cool. So now you have 2 good ones and a what the hec are you Clem...lol

Yes! It's really strange that the nursery couldn't identify it.

Anyone want to guess at a name for my nameless clematis?

Thumbnail by pirl

I dont know, but I like it.

So do I but I'd like an identification to be sure of the pruning class.

Well you can just wing it this first year, dont prune and see what happens. Then next year you will know...lol

True but in the meantime if it's really a montana (means monster in French) it will be huge so I'd prefer to plant it where I want a huge one. Therein lies the problem.

True. I know I have a tencdency to plant them in place that the suns pattern changes through the spring then summer, so that it winds up being in the wrong place. I get so confused in ,y yard sometimes. I never know where that sun will wind up...lol

Those I have in some amount of shade do provide longer color even though they likely have fewer flowers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.