Hybrid Dwarf Japanese Red Maple

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Kawonkamish Nishnoh (Greetings Everyone),

I have a 4 years-old Japanese Maple, that is 1½-foot high. It is a hybrid of my Sugar Maple (Acer saccharum) and my Dwarf Japanese Red Maple. I think my Dwarf Japanese Red Maple is the variety 'Bloodgood'. It has silver bark, with red dissected leaves. When the new maple's leaves first appear, they are blood red and turn green with red edges as they mature. The bark is reddish and the branches start out as green the turn reddish. The stems of the leaves are blood-red. Here is a pic of it. I will post another pic of the red new leaves.

Aquene (Peace),
WautuckquesSochepo (SnowRabbit)
(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

This message was edited Jun 2, 2011 12:26 PM

Thumbnail by maccionoadha
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Here is a pic of the new leaves.

Aquene (Peace),
WautuckquesSochepo (SnowRabbit)
(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Thumbnail by maccionoadha
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I would certainly question this hybridization but anything is possible i assume although Kramer's Squealing "Pig Man" was in fact a fat little mental patient ... if such was possible i would think it would have been done long ago and i have never heard of this or seen one I have in fact never seen any hybridization of any Japanese Maple with other maple such as a sugar , silver, or any other basic maple variety... and would have to see scientific proof this is even a possibility ,,, with all the Acer Saccharum around I would think this would be a common occurrence if it is in fact possible .and it is not to my knowledge it has never happened.. looks like a Japanese maple in every way I see no sugar maple characteristics although it looks like an interesting cultivar I have my doubts on this claim. That does in no way diminish the cultivars uniqueness or worthiness.. but as i said I am no expert, just have some if not allot disbelief..also with a young tree like that it takes many years to develop it's final look ... specing out a young tree for certain characteristics can give false positives to any permanent "look" which likely will be very differnt .David(san)

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i would have to agree with Davidsans and the "Kramer's Squealing "Pig Man" comment above. you just can't make it up :)

love it

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Quote from Davidsan :
I would certainly question this hybridization but anything is possible i assume although Kramer's Squealing "Pig Man" was in fact a fat little mental patient ... if such was possible i would think it would have been done long ago and i have never heard of this or seen one I have in fact never seen any hybridization of any Japanese Maple with other maple such as a sugar , silver, or any other basic maple variety... and would have to see scientific proof this is even a possibility ,,, with all the Acer Saccharum around I would think this would be a common occurrence if it is in fact possible .and it is not to my knowledge it has never happened.. looks like a Japanese maple in every way I see no sugar maple characteristics although it looks like an interesting cultivar I have my doubts on this claim. That does in no way diminish the cultivars uniqueness or worthiness.. but as i said I am no expert, just have some if not allot disbelief..also with a young tree like that it takes many years to develop it's final look ... specing out a young tree for certain characteristics can give false positives to any permanent "look" which likely will be very differnt .David(san)

I am highly offended by your response to my posting. It is not nice to be insulting and or offhanded to someone ('Pig Man' reference). I only have the Sugar Maples and the Dwarf Japanese Red Maples in my yard. I grew this one from a seed I took from the Dwarf Japanese Red Maple, that is next to the Sugar Maples. So are you able to explain how this Maple came about? All my Dwarf Japanese Red Maples start out red and stay that way; also I have been growing them for over 30 years...

WautuckquesSochepo

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Just humor no offense intended. I think your cultivar is very nice and special and said so .I just wanted to make the point it origin as expressed was unlikely at best.. NO seed grown Jm is true to seed .I call them mongrels ... known mother tree unknown father . Almost all new named Jms are selected seedlings . What that means is a grower sees a really special looking seed sprouted jm near lets say an Aka shigitatsu sawa grows it for three or four years ( time it takes for any sedling to really become what it will eventually look like mentioned in last post This is how I presume the whole Ghost series was developed by Buchholz, they are all Aka shigitasu sawa seedlings I believe. They then graft off that now bigger plant . name the plant like dave and Talon did . Some patent it like Dave did or the Shirraz by a company in New Zealand and some don't like Buchholz ( I don't believe his is patented but don't know for sure.. For example the new and super cool Ryusen is a patented plant ..likely selected seedling .( not sure). Other jms are taken from odd branches that appear on trees of special value they are most often Air layered and then grafted and grown a couple years and then the same process as the seed grown ones ...

Basically it is not unusual for a very strange seedling to appear or a very strange branch on an established tree ... you may have the find of the century or it may develope into a nice tree but nothing spectacular like most new jms ... but I am 99,999% sure it is not a hybrid. I would suggest buying JD Vertrees book entitled "Japanese Maples ".. 4th addition ( stay away from the cheap paper bacjk travel addition... Your conclusion may seem logical but it is not plausible ... if you had a whole 1000 acres of oaks your tree would not be a hybrid oak maple ... and even though the sugar maple is in fact an acer it is a totality different tree. Oh btw I offend everone so don't take it personally ... I say what I think and don't really care how others see it ... it is not a good trait but it is what it is being honest it is just the way I am .. enjoy your Acer Palmatum Japaneses Maple I think it is a very nice one. Davidsan

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Kawonkamish Davidsan,

Sorry, I tend to take things said to me, rather personally. Sorry again for the misunderstanding and thank you.

So, what you are saying is, that it is just a mutation of Acer palmatum? It is strange, that it is the only one that has ever sprouted red to green. All the other seedlings that sprouted from my red, have stayed red. They have never shown any other color. Oh well, it is still a nice little tree.

Aquene,
WautuckquesSochepo
(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Milford, DE

Agree with everything you said David but my plant was only registered, not patented.

My brother has a maple tree that throws off so many different types of seedlings that you can't keep up with it. Right now he has one that is almost pure white with pink overtones in it. But only time will tell. As David says it takes minimum of 3 years and up till 5 to really know what is going to happen.

Good hunting in Oregon

Dave

This message was edited Jun 6, 2011 12:33 PM

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I think with most jms seedlings , Dave will agree ... are rather typical red or green ... but of the bizzzion the sprout up on big nurseries a very few are different and develop unusual or special characteristics or with certain trees like Dave's brother's tree, some trees may just shoot out allot of different types .. but 99,9 are just typical red or green seedlings NOT unusual that you could be used rootstock ( although most nurseries grow their own green acer palmatum rootstock) or just thrown away..

.. There is nothing wrong with having even a typical jm seedling but most Just aren't that special on a collectors level.... for novices these can be treasures since most folks most are only unaware of all the different super cool varieties.... and are looking at what they have seen in Bloodgoods and Crimson Queens anyway. They are thus are thrilled with mongrels ... As they get more and more addicted and learn more about the JM world they will hardly look at their first "special" ( now very common) looking tree and are driven to find super cool looking very different cultivars .. And as the addiction becomes greater they see all the little nuances in each tree as far as structure leaf shape and color that the "normal" person would say ..." they all look the same to me " It is a progression just like any other hobby or occupation . The more you are exposed to the world of Jms the more discriminating you become in what you buy / collect.. Its pretty easy to go to Kmart or Lowes and pick out a typical tree among the few they offer .But most that come to my place and see my botanical gardens feel I have drugged them by the time they leave.both high and confused.. the world of Jms is vast and encompasses so many different cultivars. 99% of all Americans are totally unaware of our special world... for those of you that are.... you are in a very special small group who remarkably tend to surprisingly NOT to be snobbish ( bonsai folks excluded ;>) ) and are more interested in teaching others what they know about this hidden special world rather than showing off. Our peep's tend to be very down to earth in their jm worlds That is one thing that makes my life much easier and enjoyable ... .. but there are always a few jerks that enter the scene nicle and dimming you to death or waisting your time to sdee larger trees but buy somewhere else to save $5 but it is surprisingly few ... compared to most other such hobbies or obsessions the Jm world is a very peaceful place to be. David(san)

Dahlonega, GA

Maci, I have a bloodgood seedling that grew up with coral bark and green leaves . There were several that came out with the coral bark and tiny leaves . All from seeds from my mature tree . At the time there were no J P's within a mile from me .

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Kawonkamish digger,

Kuttobotômish wutche pânoowâteo(Thank you for letting me know).

Aquene,
WautuckquesSochepo
(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Dahlonega, GA

Sounds like you have a nice tree . You can propagate it later by bending a branch over and burying it with a rock over it to hold it down . Bloodgoods are easy to root this way .You'll get a clone of the parent tree . Keep us informed with pictures , that should keep you busy the next three or four years . Hugs

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Kawonkamish digger,

N'wunne-noowáonk (I will). Kuttobotômish (I Thank you).

Aquene,
WautuckquesSochepo
(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.