save seeds?

Heber Springs, AR

I am growing zennia Candy Mix for the first time this year. I was just wondering if I can save seeds from these and have them come back true to form? Are they a hybrid? I really like the flower. I appreciate any information.

Thumbnail by ARdotty
Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

I'm pretty sure they will come true to seed if you save them. "Candy Mix" is supposed to be double petaled zinnias. They almost resemble double "pom pom" like coneflowers. It looks like the one you photographed is/is opening like one of those. These types are sold under quite a few different names depending on seed company. From what I've heard a low percentage of seeds are producing the desired double petaled zinnia regardless of what company they came from. The best way to guarantee you will only grow "doubles" in the future would be to save the seeds from the ones you like this year.

Jon

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Dotty,

As Jon said, they are not F1 hybrids, and can come true from seed. Also, as Jon said, usually you have a fairly low percentage of "on type" Candy Mix specimens, so save seeds only from your "good ones". Incidentally, crossing these scabious zinnia types with "regular" zinnias can give some very interesting results. This picture shows such a hybrid, producing what I refer to as Echinacea flowered zinnias. You can also get Marigold flowered zinnias, Sunflower flowered zinnias, and several other interesting new types by crossing these Candy Mix zinnias with other types of zinnias.

ZM

Thumbnail by Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Dotty,

This is another scabious hybrid zinnia that I grew last year.

ZM

Thumbnail by Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Dotty,

The central florets can have a significantly different color from the guard petals.

ZM

Thumbnail by Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Dotty,

The guard petals can themselves be bi-colored.

ZM

Thumbnail by Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Dotty,

The guard petals can have unusual shapes.

ZM

Thumbnail by Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Dotty,

Candy Mix can look like marigolds.

ZM

Thumbnail by Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Dotty,

And Candy Mix can be very full flowered.

ZM

Thumbnail by Zen_Man

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.