ID for new tree?

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

I'm hoping for an ID on a bonsai palmatum I received recently as a gift. The owner of the nursery from whence it came does not know the variety. I realize it could probably be one of several possibilities, but I figured it couldn't hurt to try. Earlier in the spring, the leaves were predominantly an apricot color. Now the leaves are more chartreuse with orange/red coloring along the edges. The leaves are small - probably 1.5 to 2 inches max.

Thumbnail by SongsofJoy
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Maybe, but just a guess, Acer palmatum Yatsubusa Kiyohime A collage of the one we planted last fall. I will go out and walk around and see if any others come to mind, but I have so few compared with Wha and others who will no doubt know. Patti

Acer palmatum 'Kiyo hime'
Fantastic small maple that will grow much wider than tall, 'Kiyo hime' emerges in spring with red tips to the leaves before turning green for the summer. Fall color ranges from bronze to orange. For a plant that never gets more than 2 feet tall 'Kiyo hime' is relatively fast growing and will become a specimen in the garden after just a few years.

Height: 2 feet Width: 5-6 Feet
Bachman's Landscaping Plant Search

or

Acer palmatum 'Kiyo-hime' foliage
Height: 4 feet
Spread: 6 feet
Sunlight: full sun partial shade
Hardiness Zone: 5
Other Names: Kiyohime Yatsubusa

Description:

A true dwarf form of Japanese Maple; also used in bonsai because it does not tend to sport long shoots; shiny light green leaves are tinged with red-orange in the spring; a beautiful low growing elegant tree for landscape use or along borders

Ornamental Attributes:

Kiyo Hime Japanese Maple has attractive green foliage which emerges crimson in spring. The small deeply cut lobed palm-shaped leaves are ornamentally significant and turn an outstanding orange in the fall. The flowers are not ornamentally significant. The bark is not particularly outstanding.

Landscape Attributes:

Kiyo Hime Japanese Maple is an open deciduous tree with a stunning habit of growth which features almost oriental horizontally-tiered branches. Its relatively fine texture sets it apart from other landscape plants with less refined foliage.

This is a relatively low maintenance tree, and should only be pruned in summer after the leaves have fully developed, as it may 'bleed' sap if pruned in late winter or early spring. It has no significant negative characteristics.

Plant Characteristics:

Kiyo Hime Japanese Maple will grow to be about 4 feet tall at maturity, with a spread of 6 feet. It tends to fill out right to the ground and therefore doesn't necessarily require facer plants in front. It grows at a slow rate, and under ideal conditions can be expected to live for 60 years or more.

This tree does best in full sun to partial shade. It prefers to grow in average to moist conditions, and shouldn't be allowed to dry out. It is particular about its soil conditions, with a strong preference for rich, neutral soils. It is somewhat tolerant of urban pollution. Consider applying a thick mulch around the root zone in winter to protect it in exposed locations or colder zones.

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Great info, Patti! The pictures in your collage do look similar. I'm not sure about the size though. This tree is about four feet wide and tall. And it's been grown as a bonsai for at least 15 years - possibly much longer. If it had been planted in the ground, I'm guessing it would be a good bit larger. It's pruned very nicely into a tree shape ( versus bush shape). Still, I think Kiyo Hume is a good possibility.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Perhaps it is Acer palmatum ‘Yatsubusa Kashima’ I have that one too, but will have to go out and shoot it as I am not sure the label is right on my photos. Not sure about the word Yatsubusa as it just means dwarf as I have been reading in Vertrees. Apparently it is often incorrectly used with the cultivar name. Oh so confusing.

Quoting:
‘Yatsubusa Kashima’ and ‘Yatsubusa Kyohime’: These varieties
are very rare and unique forms of Japanese Maple. Kiyohime is almost a
groundcover, maturing to about 2’ tall by 6’ wide; its green foliage has a pink
tinge, turning brighter pink-red in fall. Kashima is similar to Kiyohime, but will
grow twice as tall. Our supplier/grower, Mike Johnson of Summer Hill Nursery,
describes these Japanese maples as “very tidy small plants”.

Baystate info
Quoting:
palmatum ‘Yatsubusa kashima’ A very dwarf Japanese maple slowly growing to a mature height of 5-6ft. and at least as wide. Ultimate size depends on the amount of attention plants receive with pampered specimens growing faster toward the higher estimates while those less fussed over grow much more slowly and hover at the lower height of 3-4ft. Plants are a favorite with bonsai enthusiasts who maintain miniature specimen for decades. The tiny leaves unfurl light yellow with a brick red edging, become green in summer and in autumn display good yellow color. Habit is dense, shrubby, and at least as wide as tall. A natural choice for the rock garden, for a front row position in the mixed border and, of course, for containers strategically placed on patios, stone walls and steps. Grow in sun and light shade. Said to be drought tolerant. Zone 5.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

if it is a bonsai it likely isn't grafted .. so you all are wasting your time ..., if it is grafted one small jpeg of a few leaves won't do it and you will never be sure ,,, it ain't a Mikawa wrong color leaf etc and too large of leaves for Kashima/Chiba

if grafted could be one of many dwarfs but hard to tell size of leaves from that jpeg and color varies from year to year season to season guessing from what has been given is basically a waist of time .. and if not grafted, which most bonsai folks hate grafted trees and it likely isn't then it's just a mongrel and those bonsai folks who do sell non grafted seed grown trees as named cultivars should be ashamed of themselves .. maybe this was one of the few honest ones.who knows you can't name a seed grown tree.. Kudos if that is the case.D

Well thanks for taking the time to do some research, Patti. Very much appreciated. I figured I'd probably never know for certain but thought it couldn't hurt to ask, assuming anyone who felt it was a waste of time would simply disregard. I am not sure if it's grafted. The trunk has a lot of character - one large bulge that I thought could be a graft, but it might just be gnarly and old. I'm not an expert by any means and I like it even if it's a mongrel. it was a gift from my employer for my 10 year anniversary with the company :)

This message was edited Jun 2, 2011 6:52 PM

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I love a mystery too. I wandered about today and looked at other small leaved ones that I have and will post some shots later. What a great gift to you. Your employer obviously chose it well for the gardener that you are.

I planted many new things that we brought back from our nursery crawl last weekend including another Japanese Maple that I picked up at Bay State in Whately. Love those folks. I planted it in a pot by the front door and then will plant it out in the garden in the fall. I did that last year too with another one. I would rather spend 48.00 on a nice Acer and plant it with a couple of trailing annuals around it and along with one New Guinea Impatience than spending the same amount on a whole bunch of annuals. The one I got is called Acer palmatum Ruslyn in the Pink. It is very pretty and the right size and shape for the spot next to the front door.

I will be back with some more dumb ideas about your gift tree. Funny we were given by a group of friends back in the late 80's our first Japanese Maple as a gesture of support when we were going through a bad patch. It has grown into a nice small tree by our front walk and we have no idea of it's name either. Here it is. " Name that Tree" game continues. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

soj when we visit i will take a look at the subject:) Davidsans is correct that most bonsai places do not usually sell grafts - since you mentioned it may have a bump it could be a graft - they also work the trees to look gnarly so that could also be the case - either way the picture looks like a very nice jm bonsai and thoughtful gift.

bbrookrd - great research and info as usual! love that friendship tree, a true treasure! my guess is viridis or waterfall.

Patti, I have done the same thing this year! I have 3 small maples in pots on my patio, mixed with some annuals. They add great color and interest. I will probably plant mine out this fall too. I think gift trees (and plants) are the best! I definitely like knowing the names, but I cherish every NOID that friends have given me as well. BTW, I did not realize that you cannot name a tree grown from seed! Thanks, Davidsan, for that tidbit. I learn something new every day!

Bill, I look forward to your input! The owner said that he got the tree about 15 years ago from a Japanese man who originally had it planted in the ground but then he uprooted it and turned it into a bonsai.

Here's a picture of the trunk.

Thumbnail by SongsofJoy

And the whole tree

Thumbnail by SongsofJoy
boone, NC(Zone 5b)

SOJ, I have been reading this thread with interest. That is one GORGEOUS TREE!

boone, NC(Zone 5b)

PS, SOJ. Is that an old white planter in the background? It almost looks like a bike.

Thanks, irmaly. And, yes, it's a bike. Normally I have impatiens in the baskets but I haven't gotten to it yet!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

What a treasure. Just call in "Special" Patti

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

that is a great tree - looks like a real bonsai and not a graft from the picture - wow!

Thanks to both of you. Hopefully I can keep it happy.

Hesston, KS

Beautiful tree. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.