June's Summertime Orchids

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

It's time to start the June thread. I tried to start it once before but when I posted, it deleted my picture and refused to let me recover.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1177239/

I'll begin with Aerides houlletiana, which is just beginning to open. I've had it for several years and it blooms like clock work on the first of June.

Jim

This message was edited Jun 1, 2011 12:53 PM

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is the plant, hanging temporarily in a tree.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the new thread, Jim. Cool to have an Aerides blooming this time of year.

north coast nsw, Australia

Blc. George king 'serendipity' which smells like roses.

Thumbnail by breeindy
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Wonderful Blc, Bree and it just looks fragrant.

My Ctsm Crown Fox Voodoo is fully open now.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is a closer look at a bloom.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Lc Prism Palette X (Gaiety Flambeau X MECarter) X walkeriana has matured.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Slc. Ploenpit Fantasy is also fully open.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

A closer look.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

I'm still away from the orchids so I appreciate the photos. When did you get all these orchids, Jim? lol The Catasetum is my fav.

Bree, that Blc. is very nicely colored.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I just saw a picture of L. Purpurata Crownfox 'Flares' and it blew me away. Has anyone else seen it and do you know where to find it? I haven't had any luck.

Laurel, the Vandaceous orchid I bought in Apopka labeled Chtra. Luang Prabang turns out to be pretty nice. Chtra stands for Christieara
which is Aerides X Asconcenda X Vanda. The reason I bought it is so I would be forced to figure all that out. :>)

Jim

Jim, any vandacious orchid with a Crownfox moniker originated from R.F. Fuchs. Michael Coronado ("crown") and Bob Fuchs ("fox"). Very cool that they put their names together and came up with Crownfox.

Meantime, back at the ranch (really more a California contemporary)...Vanda denisoniana x Asc. suksumyam spot. It was closed when we left so I'm expecting the flowers to get even better.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

It is a little breezy so photos were a challenge but here is the plant...

Prosthechea cochleata Is just starting one of several spikes. This was a beautiful specimen I've been bringing along for four years but now has some burn streaks on the leaves. Surprising that it bloomed at all. I always recommend this orchid to beginners who want to try a species orchid. It grew well and bloomed in the house for three years.

My wonderful Broughtonia sanguinea splash form from Jim.

There are three gorgeous and very pendant spikes. The spikes are so long I can't photo the plant well in the breeze.

I took it inside for a little more clarity.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Love the speckled Vanda X, and the Broughtonia!

Jim, are you sure of the name on that Laelia? If so, sounds like Laurel gave you a lead. I was looking for it, but kept ending up on EBay. Luckily, my left eye starts twitching when I start scrolling on there, so I got off. LOL!

Yes, I meant to add call them. I'm guessing this is purple, has a deep, spotted throat with a yellow streak.

Thanks Carol.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Laurel, so happy the Broughtonia is doing well for you and that Vanda X is fabulous.

You were right on about the L. purpurata. See: http://www.rforchids.com/framer.html. I will call them and see if they have a plant available. Many of their 'Crownfox' orchids are wonderful.

Jim

Encyclia alata may replace Encyclia cordegara as a favorite.

Another photo.

Re-bloom on a NOID Tolumnia.

Little nuggets has peaked and a few flowers have dropped. They are now an incredibly deep golden color and fragrant in the afternoon. This is really a fabulous orchid.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I can see why you like Encyclia alata; it's a beauty. You have to love the rich gold color of Little Nuggets. Good show.

I called R. F. Orchids and learned that the L. purpurata 'Crownfox Flare' is a one of a kind and just won the AM/AOS award. It's up for sale at $500. I think I'll pass until it becomes a bit more commonplace. :>)

Jim

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Jim, I found a picture...and you're right. That's a great variation on purpurata! Give it a couple of years. Somebody smart will probably tissue-culture a bunch of them. Beautiful lightly colored flares...

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Good show, Laural!
I was just looking at Enc. alata on Andy's site this morning. I may need that one. my first Encyclia is Enc. lancifolia...blooming now

Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

The whole plant

Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Den yellow song canary

Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

It's a small one

Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Jim, I was checking out Rhyncholaelia digbyana, this morning and was disappointed to find it needs very high humidity. Do you have any idea what your average humidity is, other than high?

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The average annual humidity is 59%. It is higher in the mornings than later in the day. When I first go outside, it can be up to 85% or so. In the summer, we can get thunder storms just about every afternoon. That is good as it cools us down. July and August humidity runs around 65% while January and February will be about 50%.

Jim

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Hmmm. Our summer and winter are opposite of your's. Right now , my mornings are at 85% too, but on warm days it drops to 30-40% in the afternoons, and of course, we don't get any more rain till Oct. Aug. to Oct. we get the real heat, and humidity in the teens. Oh well, no Rhyncholaelias for me...or any of those vandacious ones.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes, Carol, but there are things you can grow that I have trouble with. I have no luck blooming Paphs and Phrags and Miltonias are a problem as well. Also, we can grow date palms but get no decent fruit and on and on. Just go with what works.

Aerides houlletiana is maturing and worthy of an update.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's a closer look:

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Onc Sherry Baby is blooming.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The bloom.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

I made a fast sweep by the orchids today and see Ascocenda Arthor opening. Meantime I was otherwise preoccupied making the head for a garden scarecrow. Her body is a living skirt of green garden fence covered with morning glories. Note the lips. Shoulder pads leftover from the '80s. lol I found some yellow dye in the crafts closet. She's about to go blonde.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Jim, That Aerides is beautiful!

Laurel, if that scarecrow doesn't work, nothing will!!!! LOL!

I named her after the Greek femme fatale, Clytemnestra, calling her Cly. Are you saying in PC online speak she's aesthetically challenged, Carol? Wait 'til she goes blonde.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.