Coneflowers that can survive scorching heat

Kenner, LA

Hi,

Most Coneflowers that I see are rated Zone 8 and below. I am in Zone 9, and the weather here in South Louisiana can be scorching hot, with occasional hot and muggy!! I bought some Coneflowers from local nurseries that survive the Spring well but then dies during summer and does not come back next year. I am looking for Coneflowers that can survive the brutal heat (occasionally 100+, usually 95+) summers with lots of humidity and which are full of nectar. I love to photograph and there is nothing more pleasing just to watch (and to photograph) a beautiful butterfly enjoying a sip of nectar from a Coneflower.

Thank you for your time and effort. It is very much appreciated.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Jon grows them in Florida. He can give you some good advice.

Kenner, LA

Thank you echinaceamaniac for your tip. Do you know what is Jon's id here?

Thanks.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

amorecuore is his name.

Kenner, LA

Thank you for your help.

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

MajiA - I am in zone 8b, but here in South GA, we get 100+ - it's been 103 the past 3-4 days, with more expected, & HIGH humidity. My coneflowers do great. I DO have an irrigation system (on a well), but the heat doesn't seem to bother them at all!! I have about 10 in all - 2 Coconut Lime, 1 Hot Papaya, 3 Harvest Moon, 3 or 4 that are not marked, but I think are Hot Summer. All are thriving & blooming heavily!
I would just plant them in the fall, so they will be well established before the horrible heat hits!
Good luck!!
Samantha

Kenner, LA

Thank you Samantha for the info. The heat here makes the blooms fade and they are generally smaller. Also, I have to treat them as annuals as they don't come back.

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Gee - that is discouraging!! Maybe d-mail amorecuore - he lives in South FL, & may have tips for you!! Good luck!!
Samantha

Kenner, LA

Samantha,

I got some suggestions for Jon. I think I will have to move them to partial shaded areas.

Thanks.

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

That's great - best of luck, & keep us posted on your progress!
Samantha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.