Hybrid Willow - caution!

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I planted one just for the time being until I "got around to moving it to a good place" BIG mistake. At first I just pruned it down every year, but time and life has interveined and it is now a huge tree with many trunks growing in the middle of my flower bed. It will be an enormous problem to cut it down without wrecking everything. Maybe winter when the ground is frozen will be the time to do it...

Barberton, OH

Just do it! It will have grown another 10 feet by winter. If you chip the branches w/leaves, the chips will rot quicker. OK, you'll miss the shade, but it will be DONE. The longer you put it off, the bigger the problem. Been there, done that.
Herman

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

But the problem is it is growing in the middle of my perennial garden. It will be a huge task to move everything out of the way of the falling limbs. That's why I was thinking winter. I shoulda kept it pruned waaaay back every year, because yes, it is in a perfect spot for a shady garden bench spot. I wonder why I haven't heard of it being used for biomass plantations. That would seem to be a perfect use for it.

Barberton, OH

Call in a couple of good arborists. Estimates are free. Can they get their trucks near? Working with a cherry picker they can drop the branches away from the flowers. When I did that work, we had to use ropes for everything. Are there any wires or buildings near? That would make a DIY project dangerous. Best to at least talk to an expert.
Herman

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Thank you for the information! It sounds like this will be a very expensive mistake...

Barberton, OH

Since work drops off in winter, you may be able to negotiate a better price with an arborist in Jan or Feb. My boss did that to keep the men working.
Herman

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.