More info on this Variegated Violet.....

Belleville, MI(Zone 6a)

We have wild violets growing all around here in Michigan. We purchased the property next door and this spring I was surprised to find variegated leaves on about 1 out of every 100 plants around the house. The neighbor told me he thought they were weeds (gasp!) and mowed them down..... So he didn’t plant them. The info I could find said they may be a sport/virus. One thing said they would come true to seed, but that is unlikely if it is a virus.
I found a name and picture that are similar here: viola sororia 'binsted' http://www.flickr.com/photos/30995345@N03/sets/72157608866938073/detail/?page=2

The pictures below is of my plant.

Thumbnail by rustyacres
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Very cool! You just might have something unique. Based on my experience with plant viruses, most if not all plants of the same species (and often genus) are equally susceptible. So it the variegation were caused by a virus there should be a much higher ratio than 1:100 plants infected. Also a virus infection will usually have other symptoms such as distorted, stunted, deformed growth - but your plant looks OK. So there's a good chance you have a legitimate, healthy variegated violet. And if it's Viola sororia, it should be quite vigorous (to the extent of being weedy). Were you able to observe any flowers? (Is it pretty?) I ask because some violets, V. sororia especially, tend to produce non-flowering seed pods after the cool, early spring flowering season, which makes them more invasive. If your variegated violet has pretty flowers, it has a lot more value as a keeper (or seller) than as a foliage-only ground cover.

Belleville, MI(Zone 6a)

It most definitely had flowers, as far as I could tell they were identical to the green leaved plants, although I didn’t have a camera when they were all in bloom. I have some planted in multiple spots devoid of other violets so hopefully I can see if the seeds will grow. Wouldn’t it be cool to cross this with ‘freckles’ (makes my fingers tingle.. or is that the carpel tunnel from pulling weeds)

Thumbnail by rustyacres
Belleville, MI(Zone 6a)

another
sorry repeat picture... and I can't change it...

This message was edited May 31, 2011 11:11 PM

Thumbnail by rustyacres
Belleville, MI(Zone 6a)

another

Thumbnail by rustyacres
Belleville, MI(Zone 6a)

last one, I promise!

Thumbnail by rustyacres
Belleville, MI(Zone 6a)

Bump

Spring Lake, MI

I have a back lawn full of violets. I have a similar plant that appeared in my flower bed this spring. I have left it alone to see how it would fare. Compared to you plant the blotches are a very clean white, without much mottling (speckles). I hopped out and looked at it just now and it's not looking too good. I think that the problem with a plant like mine is that it doesn't have a lot of chlorphyll to keep it thriving. This isn't the first variegated one I've had, and so far none has survived. As I say though, the mutations I've seen result in large areas of pure white - a complete absence of chlorophyll apparently. Yours may do quite well since the variegation seems to be throughout the leaves and not in large patches. It will be interesting to know how it goes. Keep us posted. If mine perks back up I'll try to post a photo for comparison.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Very cool! Lucky you! If the variegation is stable when the plant is divided you have something very worthwhile. I would trade just about anything or any 3 or 4 things on have list for a start of one of those violets.

Highland, NY

I also have a wild violet with variegated leaves. This is the only one l’ve seen so far and I have LOTS of violets! It’s the second year since I first found it growing on a new gravel path.

Thumbnail by Alitex

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.