Do you enjoy looking for Barn Quilts while traveling?

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

Years ago, I loved 'discovering' ads and pictures painted on old barns along the blue highways and backroads of this great country. Seemed the further back you went, the more you found! Especially on abandoned barns or old ones that are just sitting in a field... I understood why barns would be used for ads, but sometimes finding one with a picture or part of something else, just baffled me. Like painting a barn roof... unless you're up in the air or on a distant hilltop, who would see it?
Now it makes sense to me, even though I don't have a barn anymore. If you decorate your home, why not the barn??? Had never heard of Barn Quilts, either, until I started driving from IN into OH, before I moved to OH permanently, but had noticed the big square pictures along the Appalachian Highway. Very neat, I thought.. but what is it?
Then I discovered this group of quilters here at DG, along with others and found out what these big blocks were. Hubby found a brochure at one of the travel stops along the Highway with an article and a numbered map of the local ones! OK, that started an entire new interest for me and we now look for more as we get out and about, they have become like landmarks for us.
Anyway, like I've said before, I am usually behind you all when it comes to these things, and since I'm fairly new at quilting, I may be sharing stuff that you all have already seen. If so, I apologize... (little things like this are eye candy for this old girl). Eleanor Burns has her own series on these, along with many articles from others on the 'net and tours across the country. I'm always keen on finding more, so if you have any to share, please do!
This I found earlier today, thought maybe some of you would enjoy checking them out and maybe see a new pattern or two... If you were to put one out on your barn, garage, etc, which pattern would you choose to represent you????

http://www.townofneversink.org/barn_quilts.html

Thumbnail by Kizmo
This thread has 104 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!