Rangoon Creeper

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Friends,

My neighbor wants a Rangoon Creeper which is doing better than well on my trellis. What is the best way to root it or can it just be stuck in the ground like a coleus? They are new neighbors from India and I really want to share.

Thanks Kids

Hap

Laie, HI

Hope you have a very strong support for your plant as they can get very big and heavy unless you keep up some heavy pruning. Most people around here grow them from the seedlings growing on the ground under the vine.

noonamah, Australia

I tried them from cuttings but didn't have any success. Of course, I'm not the best "cuttings" person.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Stella, I will check under the bush, soon to be tree.

Good to hear from you tropic!!

Hap

mulege, Mexico

I haven't done a rangoon creeper but most plants I've tried have been propogated through layering.

kb

lahore, Pakistan(Zone 10b)

I propagated it many times from cuttings. But in our monsoon season the humidity is very high and cuttings sprout easily so keep cuttings humid. Just stick it in the soil and at least 2 leaf nodes under soil. Soft cuttings should do the job.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Well, will try again khabbab, for the humidity this am is 96% with a temp of about 80F.

Thanks for the info.

Hap

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Dearest Nancy,

If you find a baby rangoon creeper under that wonderful plant of yours, I sure would like one, if you have it to spare.

Hugs.
Sylvain.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the idea kids, but there is nary a one. I'll try rooting it again with some real new growth. Stay tuned.

Nancy

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

hey nancy, and sylvain too.
they will geive off a seed pod that looks like anise seed. they are your best bet. usually they will start growing under the vine. i have a double rangoon that has yet to flower and the regular one that is still small. i will look for seedlings for you. we need to get together soon.

Thumbnail by candela
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Cass,

Absolutely we have to get together.

Have never seen a real seed pod on mine nor seedling under the vine.

Just put 2 cuttings in pots with two nodes as was suggested and after two days they are still alive.

Why do they call it a Creeper instead of a Take-It-Over? Creeping is not a good term for it. LOL

Nancy

PS. Was your DH able to connect with the chef up north?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

PPS.. What ever that is.....it's amazing.

Hap

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Cassandra and Nancy, you're right. We have to get together. With my new job, I never know ahead of time when I'll work. However, if I ask ahead of time, the scheduling manager will give gladly me the day off. So, when could you all converge towards Morningwood, our Delray-les-Plages residence? Feel free to suggest some dates and I'll organize it.

Sylvain.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Anytime, any day for me, Sylvain.

Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.