rain stops garden club visit, but can't stop a cyber visit!

Coffs Harbour, Australia

My husband, myslef and a good friend all put in a big effort to get the gardens looking gorgeous for the local garden club, who were supposed to visit today. Mother Nature decided everything needed a water, and she forgot to turn off the tap, so the visit has been cancelled. I braved the rain anyway to take a few pics to share with you, because who knows how long it will be, before we ever have it this tidy, all at once, again?
Enjoy
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

some of thear as they could be, due to low light, but you'll all get the idea. Also, I might be called away at any moment, so I'll catch up with the pics when I get back.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

ok, must have text for the photo to post I guess.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

yup, that worked

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

disguising the bio cycle

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

looking to the east

Thumbnail by weed_woman
se qld, Australia

lol Sue. I hope your friend at least scored a good feed for their troubles. hehehe

I'd kill for your verandah. :)

Coffs Harbour, Australia

one of my favourite little patches

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Pam, I promised her some help in her garden should she ever need it. I did make her a cuppa and some bikkies, so she didn't go home starving. This area scrubbed up so well, it was very neglected.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

The red hot pokers are providing a feed for the local nectar eating birds!

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

the pathway looking back west

Thumbnail by weed_woman
se qld, Australia

Ah, I initially thought we were only getting just the first photo as a tease - went back after I posted and there were a heap more. Your (beautifully tidy) place is beautiful.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

I love the crotons. I grew them from cuttings!

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Thanks pam, its really nice to walk around, even if you have to wear gumboots and carry an umbrella.
The boat pond. Yes, it does have fish in it, and frogs

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

looking across the dam to the brom gardens. There was a huge effort put in here. (thanks again Belinda)

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

I'll have the whole thing this full one day

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

A nice place to relax and have a cuppa

Thumbnail by weed_woman
se qld, Australia

Then I went back and there were more pics again. Cool! Thanks for the 'visit' Sue. It's all lovely. In the pic behind the plow - the red hot pokers post, is that a dam/pond in there? Is it landscaped?

EDIT

Don't bother to answer that Sue .... you already did.lol

This message was edited May 30, 2011 10:17 AM

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Pam, no, beyond the hot poker/plough garden is the east front corner of the block, and a huge gravel driveway for my husbands truck, but there is some more landscaping there, but didn't quite get to tidying that part up, so you won't be seeing it today! he he
the garden bed where Leisas plants are residing

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

looking back down to the front of the property

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

the bromeliad shadehouse

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

beside the pool. i don't believe it, i actually got them all on before being disturbed or logged out! I might get out and take a few more if the clouds lift a bit.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
se qld, Australia

I'd kill for your verandah AND your nice flat-sided dam, Sue. Ours has walls that block the view.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Pam, I wish I could do something really pretty with that dam, with water lilies e.t.c, but really, its a big dog swimming hole, and they will pull anything floating on the water right out. I had a floating crocodile head that lasted a week!

Coffs Harbour, Australia

A quick pic to show you the layout. This is a few years old, but the dam is up behind the shed and the hot pokers are along the front fence on the bottom right.
Mmm, guess you can't really see either of those! The dam is there, but it doesn't show up. Maybe it was a dry year and it was half empty?

This message was edited May 30, 2011 11:26 AM

Thumbnail by weed_woman
se qld, Australia

We'd love to put waterlilies and the like in ours too Sue, but the few times we've tried they were demolished by snails literally overnight. Given that it was unlikely to have held any water for a number of years before we fixed it I'm amazed that they (the snails) are there.

north coast nsw, Australia

A very neat garden. I esp. love the black Alocasia and the crotons.

Queensland, Australia

Wow Sue, you have a beautiful place and absolutely lovely gardens, wow I would love to own such a property, truly amazing and something I can only dream of. Thanks so much for sharing the photos :)
Tash
Oh had to make mention of one particular photo, the boat, that is just brilliant, love that idea, never seen it before :)

barmera, Australia

Beautiful Sue. Such a lot of hard work but the rewards are many. Leisa's garden is looking great. Thanks for sharing. Colleen

Merino, Australia

Can I come and live in your shed, Sue ?? I just love the colors. I should take a pic out and show mine what they should look like.
Be very proud of yourself .
Jean.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

So, Pam, is that watersnails that ate your lillies? We get a small grub that cuts off part of the lily leaf, then pulls it over themselves. It leaves all the lily pads looking mangy, so we pick them off one by one and feed them to the fish (this is in the boat pond of course)
I took another pic toward the hot pokers so you can see the lay of the land by the truck driveway.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Thanks for your comments bree. The black alocasia is one of my favourites too. I might devide it in spring and put a few more here and there.
Here is hubbys shed. Its a monster so I tried to soften it with some gardens

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Tash, thank you for the kind words. I have to admit, I did see the boat idea somewhere else, but I do think that mine went a step further than the original. Its a very contemplative part of the garden, as you can feed the fish and count frogs to while away the time
This is the dam, and just beyond it is our fenceline, so we borrow a little of our neighbours views.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Colleen, I wish you could come see it in person. Maybe next time you get to Brisbane for a family vist, we might get you down for a few days?
Looking toward the front, through the gazebo, with my sales plant shade house to the left

This message was edited May 30, 2011 5:00 PM

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Jean, once upon a time we were going to section off part of the shed as accomodation, but it was all very involved. if we ever do, you can come to stay! It does get a little warm in there through summer though!
A little bit of garden along a pathway. I love this Justicia, and there is the gold one to the left of it, with buds on. How long do i have to wait to see them open? I took these as cuttings also.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

The Aechmea garden, which is the newest addition to the layout. It needs a little finishing, and I am debating planting the bromeliads properly, as their positions mostly suit.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Well folks, thats it for today. I hope you enjoyed the tour. It was really good to work in the garden with a friend instead of on my own, and it really didn't take much to glam it up at this time of the year. The club might be able to plan another visit in August, so we'll cross our fingers for some dry weather then.
Happy gardening
Sue

Gee Sue I am sorry to hear that ...I heard on the radio that Coff's was copping it bad, it's pretty hairy down this way too.
Cold and Windy pelting rain, some people got hail, so far we haven't.
Well I guess the garden is looking beautiful so at least you can console yourself with that.
I am off for a look now, just wanted to pop and and commiserate :)

Oh it's looking amazing Sue Congrats!

Love the black Elephant ears what are they called?
Everything looked so colourful and neat, I have said it before ...you should have some sort of tea room or something there just for tourists and Brom fans, I think they would flock to your lovely place.
Thanks so much for the tour ...you had the cyber garden mob in today and it was a huge success!

Christchurch, New Zealand

WOW!
Sue the gardens looked good last October but in these pics - immaculate!
I showed Baz & was impressed he spotted the new pathway & garden straight away.
And I thought he only had eyes for the mechanical delights of the shed...
What a shame the garden tour was cancelled but I enjoyed the cyber tour & seeing everything again as well as getting to see the new garden which is really coming away nicely.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.