Birthday Club 2011 #9

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Rule number one is HAVE FUN! If you can't bring a sense of humor or a smile to the party don't come.

Rule number two is about the "gifting" of birthday goodies. New plan that I hope will solve the problems of most of the people with financial issues. All goodies must fall into one of these 3 categories:

1. A handmade or crafted something that you do. Most everyone I know on DG sews, paints, crafts or does some sort of hobby that they could share in some small way with the birthday people. If it is only a handmade card that you can send for $.44 that is terrific.

2. Second category would be plants. Hey we are a gardening forum after all. A lot of folks have extras or starts or cuttings. Send what you can afford to ship.

3. Gift cards for plants, or gardening related items or anything else that people have mentioned in their wishlists. I am not going to set an amount. Make it whatever your budget allows. Once again it is about the thought and the effort. Anyone that does crafts would love a card to Micheals or JoAnns etc. I know I would. Keep in mind a lot of gift cards can be done online eliminating the postage issue all together.

Now that we have the ground rules set I encourage everyone to go to the New Likes and Dislikes link and adjust their posts accordingly. List your plant wants. List the places you like to shop or would like a gift card from.

Current Members:

Rouxcrew (Joy) Jan. 15 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8142063
ClanCampbell (Chris) Feb.28 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8057458
FruitoftheVine- (Susan) April 9 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7958412
Janaestone - (Dianae) April 12 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7886210
momoftwo607 (Erin) May 6 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7885884
Crit (Patti) May 10 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8217784
LoveForests June 8 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8448650
GAgirl1066 (Paula) Sept. 1 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8039522
Ridesredmule (Charlene) Oct. 1 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7896427
Rvnsbrk - (Juanita) Oct 9 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7886786
GardenQuail (Michelle) October 28 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8242576
Dahtzu (Faye) December 25
Hope43 (Hope) Dec. 28 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8005430

New Likes/ Wants Thread

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1107561/

This message was edited Jun 7, 2011 3:30 PM

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

OK now we should be good to go for a couple of weeks. Donna when you get a chance, stop by and check in and also do the Likes and Dislikes.

Thanks,

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

I made it.............

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Me too!

Thumbnail by ridesredmule
FU, United States(Zone 9b)

LoL! Love that shot! Your mules are the cutest.

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Who couldn't resist a face like that?

Welcome, Donna!

camera shy??????

Thumbnail by Crit
FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Char. I needed that sweet little face this morning!

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

((((((Neener)))) I have been in that same spot and understand .. my thoughts and prayers are with you right now and will continue to be :(

Welcome Donna- our official Valentine's baby :)

Ladies, I can't begin to tell you what a wonderful trip I just came back from!! I got to meet our most wonderful Neener, plus Elfie, Dahtzu, AmandaEsq, Fruity, and Darius.. plus even more! It was so cool to be able to put a real person with my online friends..and hope someday to meet even more of you! I'm at my DD's house right now, but once I'm at home I'll upload my pics and show you our group picture with all of us in it :)

Have a great day, everybody

Waiting.........can't wait to see it !

Neener, We all love you, so please try to take care of yourself too.
Durn, are we jealous but glad you enjoyed your trip.

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Ok, here's one of the whole group.. starting from the left- Faye (Dahtzu) and DH Ray- with Neener (Rvnsbrk) peeking between them lol- then Jo (Roadrunner), Kris (Mud_Elf) with DH Ralph standing behind her, Darius (holding the cup), me behind her, Dyson and his DW (Sue), Fruity behind them (beside me), then Amanda (AmandaEsq). The kids in front are (on the left) Raven and Gatlin (my grandkids) and Gryphon and Goober (Elf's grandkids)

I just realized that two are missing..her DG name is 3Grandkids and her DH.. they must have left before we got the pic.. well, dang! They were so nice..brought lots of plants for everyone and were so fun to talk with :)

We had such a great time meeting all these great people.. can't wait to see them again :)

edited to fix my forgetfulness lol

This message was edited May 30, 2011 7:52 PM

Thumbnail by ClanCampbell

Chris, Wow, what a great shot of great looking people and kids. Awesome you all got to get together.

Terrific pic!!!! Thanks for sharing. Now we too can put a face with a name. i don't believe I know Darius, Dyson or Jo

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

Love the pics, Chris - it looks like you guys had a lot of fun and you're all so lucky getting to meet everyone like that! I went to my RU on Saturday and had a great time as well. It's so much fun to get together with DG friends and talk plants, life in general, and more plants.

LOL Char - love those pics of your mules.

Welcome, Donna..to a group of very friendly, chatty gals.

Great picture of a great group.
thank you, they love getting pictures taken, I give them treats for them to pose.....

Thumbnail by ridesredmule
FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

OK girls, just flying by. Had a note from Donna and she didn't realize that she couldn't access things without being a member and isn't planning on joining, so I have taken her off the list.

I have asked Fruity to keep watch here for me for a few days. This is a bad situation here and I need to focus on getting the ducks in a row.

Thanks all and I'll try to check in when I get back home.

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

{{Neener}} Thinking of you and sending T&P's for you and your family.

(((Neener))) me too!!!♥♥
Prayers girl, ONE DAY at a TIME! ♥

Patti, your Mule or Donkey is a cute furry one, lol. Are those both your horses in the background? Looks like you have beautiful land there too.

Char, that is a very beautiful Daylily! I planted 5 bulbs, two are doing very well so far (but are very short yet), two got attacked by a rabbit and the last one just did'nt feel like growing, lol. Guess I'll enjoy the two that are doing well, can't wait to see what color they will be.

Hugs to you Neener!!!

This message was edited May 31, 2011 7:23 PM

What a pretty Lily, Char, and such an unusual color.

Your note today, Neener, about your Dad doesn't sound promising. Just know we all love you and are here for you.

Patti, one of these days we're all gonna meet! roadrunner / Jo started DG Round-Ups, 9 years ago now? She originally posted a note asking if anyone wanted to get together for a picnic in TN. The rest is history and thanks to her so many of us have been able to meet face-to-face. Darius is a long-time member and another great friend. You've no doubt read her many articles. Dyson lives near-by but only get to see him and his wife at our RU's.

It green from a seed so I don't know if it had a name. Can't even remember who sent the seed.
RU's are great! I went to Ga. one last year. It is great meeting everyone.

You grew your Lily from a seed? How long did it take for it to bloom? I'm experimenting growing a few from leaves and bulbs that were cut-up when I went to divide them last year.

You can grow new ones from seed and leaves?? Please tell me how that's done (when you have time to do so), I so want more Daylilies :]

Daylilies and Lilies are two entirely different families of plants, Christina. Daylilies are grown from tubers and Lilies are grown from bulbs. Both can be divided when the clump is large enough. What kind are you growing? Do you have a pic?

Mine look just like Charlene's. They are growing from skinny stalks with short leaves growing along the whole stalks, ( I recieved 2 inch bulbs in the mail). They are not the ones with the flowing grass-like leaves.
I can take pics tomorrow evening.

You described Lily perfectly since yours doesn't have strapping foliage like a Daylily does. Here's one of my Lilies that just opened today.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Wow, your Lilies look so healthy. I'm going through a hard time here with flowers right now (high humidity and occasional rains at night, causing 'Blight' with the flowers). I stopped watering at night, but then we started getting a short light rain at night also (so not helping the Blight situation), even though my Mums have improved after spraying them with a Fungicide, etc.

Oh and Patti, awesome that your pool was at 75 degrees!, you should get in there and start enjoying yourself.
I don't own a pool, (I rent a house without a pool), but a new friend/acquaintance from the "Moose Club" asked me over to their house and that is the pool I jumped into. Otherwise, I never get to go into a pool more than twice a year. The 'Moose' is a place where Veterans and relatives/family of Veterans go to hangout.

You can propagate a Lily by taking a scale off the bulb and plant it in good potting soil. A scale will produce leaves fairly quickly. The ones I took are still in experimental mode and are doing well. I don't know how long it will take for them to mature & bloom but am guessing it'll be a couple of years.

"Thank you" so much Susan, I appreciate that info more than you know :]

--Christina.

I garden by the old adage "you have nothing to lose by trying." You're so welcome and am looking forward to seeing your pic, too.

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, all.
Finally have a chance to write a quick note. Got busy around here...
I think you can grow daylilies from seeds, too. But I've never tried it myself. And I haven't read about how to do it. But I've read about people pollinating the flowers, so one ought to be able to get seeds from them. Of course, it sounds like Christina has lilies, not daylilies. But thought I'd mention this in case anyone else finds it useful :)
Take care, Neener. Will be keeping you and your family in my prayers.
Fruity, I finally got my Bluestone Perennials order placed! And, while I was at it, I got a couple of other plants, too :) Couldn't decide which 3 of the 5 to get, and neither could my husband, so he said I could get them all :D I've ordered the following:
Brunnera macrophylla Looking Glass (1)
Dianthus Raspberry Surprise (3-pack)
Fern Fortune's Cold Hardy Holly Fern aka Cyrtomium Fortunei (1)
Heuchera x villosa Tiramisu (1)
Viola Heartthrob (1)
Had fun deciding what I wanted to get. Needed to get some things that I could rotate between the yard and porch. The porch doesn't get any sun, so figured the fern ought to do nicely there, and the other shade-loving plants can rotate along with a couple of other heuchera that I have so none of them have to stay in the full shade all the time. Was finding that plants weren't very happy always being on the porch, so decided to give this a try. Just hadn't gotten the plants yet! Oh, and the dianthus? Not exactly sure where they're going, but really wanted them. They sound wonderful, and I'll love their fragrance! :)
Well, better go for now. More later... Take care all!
Michelle

Ok, I meant Lily, 'not' daylily, lol, (I always was a moron). Thought I read somewhere that I had daylilies, I was wrong, hehee.

Michelle, sounds like your property should be filled with lots of perty plants and should be so pretty by now. I can only imagine the beautiful variety of things you must have now and all the amazing scents they have :]

Well, I'd better get going, I'm typing too much again. Talk to y'all again soon.

Night night, or good morning.

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

Di - fashion fandangle bloomed over the weekend. Got lost behind on the thread but thats just as well. Our cat has been aweful sick since friday. I've been tending to him and trying to keep him alive. I am thinking that he has roundworms and hookworms. It was coming out both ends and hes a little dehydrated. He ate a little wet food today for the first time since friday. I'm sure he would have eaten the whole can if he could have but only gave him a spoonful for now.

Iris 'Fashion Fandangle'

Thumbnail by momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

Here's a picutre of our Kiku kitty. He's like my little pup. He follows us every where

Thumbnail by momoftwo607

Both kitties are beautful. Both look very happy and so cute.
Christinia with all the flowers we grow it is really easy to get the names messed up.
I love them all, so sometimes I get them mixed up too!!!!

Nice choices, Michelle. Really hope they do well for you and if they don't Bluestone guarantees their plants for a year and will replace dead ones free of charge including shipping. They are awesome people to work with. I didn't have a gift certificate and ordered a few things from their Specials page this morning.

Di, I keep forgetting to tell you I ordered Purple Majesty Caladiums from Bill. Love the Purple with Pink spots and is a new exclusive...ooh laa laa

Hey folks, Don't forget our June Bug, Christina's B-Day is a week from today. Whatcha got planned, Christina? Anything special?

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, all.
Speaking of lilies and mixing up names, who's idea was it to name one kind of flower a "canna lily" and another a "calla lily"? Now, talk about being confused... My husband routinely mixes these two up! Last year, I just had canna lilies growing. But then I gave away most of my cannas to make room for other flowers. My mom has always said she likes calla lilies, so I decided to try growing some this year. And since I decided to keep one very small canna lily rhizome to grow because I discovered we didn't have any pictures of the canna lily flowers, I'm now going to be growing both! LOL
As far as my other flowers and plants, I've started transitioning toward more fragrant plants and flowers, though not all of mine are fragrant. Some I've chosen, not for their fragrance, but for their interestingly shaped or textured foliage and/or flowers, and others (like the shade-loving plants I ordered from Bluestone) because the colors in the plants sounded fun and interesting. Even though I can't see the colors, they just sounded like they'd be really neat, and I know others, including my husband, will enjoy them. Of course, then there are various plants/flowers that were here when we first came. Some I like, like the rose bush, and some that I'm keeping for now but will likely replace at some point. Gardening around here is more a work in progress :)
Many things that I'm growing I started adding to my plant collection this last fall. My husband has really been enjoying watching all my flowers grow. Today, he noticed that some of the buds on my dahlias are just starting to show a little color peeking out! One has some purple, and the other two have some red. Just got these earlier this spring, so I'm eager to find out what colors they are. This seems to be the year for new plants!
Fruity, isn't that a nice clearance sale that Bluestone Perennials is having? According to the website, it continues for just a few more days, so if you haven't checked it out yet, be sure to visit soon! Everything is at a discount, though some more than others! Thanks for the early b-day gift certificate! My plants ship some time next week
:) Which plants did you order, Fruity?
Oh, Erin, I do hope your kitty feels better soon!
Well, better go for now. Take care all!
Michelle

I'm on a search for Canna Lilies that are hardy in Zone 7a, other than Indica and Richard Wallace. They are in the back two rows in the garden at the side of our garage that gets full sun, and they come back faithfully with a light cover of mulch. The heat absolutely radiates there. It would be so nice to find more varieties to have in the front three rows that are shorter in concession and don't require digging in the Fall. Do any of you have suggestions? I really would appreciate them.

My small side garden only gets morning sun and is where I'm growing Columbines, Speedwells, No ID hostas, and a few Mums. I was short on Asters, so I ordered a couple of those. For my Sunny Garden, I picked up Agastache "Cana", a Campanula I didn't have, and Eryngium "Blue Hobbit" that I've wanted for a really long time. Also added two plants I'd never heard of that sounded interesting. Adenophora "Amethyst" for my shady garden, the description says it's similar to Campanula and is mildly fragrant, and Anacyclus pyrethrum "Garden Gnome" for my full sun garden as a border plant.

Pic is mixed Canterberry Bells I winter sowed from seeds two years ago. Most are purple but was surprised to see the white ones and a few stalks had double purple blooms. I pruned it today, not sure if it will put on another flush or not, but it sure was pretty in full bloom on Monday.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Blackshear, GA

ooo, very nice , Fruity....purple is my favorite color.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.