Phlox David seems to be dying

Manning, SC(Zone 8a)

This is the third stalk of my precious Phlox David that is just wilting and dying before it even blooms. Any idea what could be wrong? It's been beautiful and hardy for the three years since I planted it, and I love it.

Thumbnail by thea611
Sumter, SC

Could it be ground vole damage?

Manning, SC(Zone 8a)

I don't think so, I'm not seeing any other signs of voles. Oh, I'm so upset!!!

Conway, SC

Try some liquid fertilizer (Miracle-grow) in early am and see if that won't perk it up.
This extreme heat does not make them happy.

Sumter, SC

I have several varieties of Phlox - none David - that are shriveling and dying. I don't know how to provide links, but if you google Phlox shrivel, there are several helpful sites. I know that mildew isn't yet a issue in my garden, but the problem could be pathogens, pests, nematodes, or water matters. Aren't you glad I narrrowed it down-) If you can figure out our problem, please clue me in.

Conway, SC

Check closely for red spider mites. They are very hard to see but the little devils can do a lot of harm. This is what we found on my neighbors David phlox. You will need to spray them with a mitacide. Can not remember the name but I think it is made by Ortho.

This message was edited Jun 30, 2011 8:23 PM

Manning, SC(Zone 8a)

I'll get out there with a magnifying glass and check for the mites, thanks BSD! And you too Donna!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.