When to move tree peony?

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I think the tree peony I planted last year is in too much shade. It would be fine if I cut down the tree that is growing rapidly, but that may not happen now if ever. Can I just dig it and move it this fall? Maybe it would be a good idea to grow a new one for a year or two in a big pot sunk in the ground, just for this reason. If it turns out to be in a bad spot it would be easy to move...

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I've moved my TP's whenever they seemed to need it. I bought this unnamed pink TP last July, moved it twice because i wasn't getting the sun right, and here it is now...

Thumbnail by RosemaryK
McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

That's encouraging! It's a beauty, and I like the green railing.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Here you can see the railing better. It's a composite made by Fencescape. I learned about the organic fabric roll (as shown) from the 2011 Peonies threads.

Thumbnail by RosemaryK
McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

hahaha - I thought the grass was a thin green railing! What is the organic fabric? Is it a weed barrier?

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

The product is Garden O.N.E. a biodegradable landscape fabric. Cem from the south posted about creating a very large bed with it. I bought mine at Lowes. I haven't decided yet if I'll get all the value from it since you can use the regular plastic stuff just to kill weeds. This product is supposed to turn into a thin mulch eventually. There's some correspondence in peonies 2011 III (I think) and IV, the most recent one. I have put it where I won't be planting the beds until fall, and then I'll decide whether to just dig the whole thing or only where I'm planting peonies.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I am using a weed barrier fabric that doesn't decompose easily, but it allows the moisture to penetrate and leaves the soil in much better condition than plastic. I'm not sure yet if it harbors slugs, but I know the plastic does...

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Please let us know what you learn.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.