Another mystery fern

Salem, MA

This fern was a volunteer in my lawn in Salem, Mass. The fronds in this picture are about 4"-5" long from ground to tip. Is this an immature version of something else, or is this what the more mature fronds will resemble?

I took 2 fern books out to the garden today to try to identify a couple plants. Could not make heads or tails of things (so to speak). Are there any good fern keys out there?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

This message was edited May 27, 2011 10:05 PM

Thumbnail by zenmom
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Onoclea sensibilis

Resin

Salem, MA

Thank you! BTW, did you use a fern guide to look this up, or do you just recognize it because you know it? And do you recommend any particular books as fern keys?

M.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Recognised it because I know it.

If you're dealing with local native ferns not cultivated ones (and are happy with keys well-filled with botanical terms!), then Flora N America is worth a try. Sorry, don't know what else is available in the USA!

Resin

Sault Ste. Marie, Canada

definitely sensitive fern (along with Norway maple samaras - invasive!) - for eastern North American fern guides you can't go wrong with the Fern Finder (authors: Hallowell + Hallowell) - for 3-5$ you can't go wrong (excellent user friendly KEY). R

Salem, MA

Thanks for the fern key recommendation, I'll look it up.

And yes, I pull Norway maple seedlings every time I go though the yard. It's a constant battle.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.