Please HELP

Dayton, OH

I have a Clematis that needs some help if possible. I planted a Clematis on the South side of my house, it was doing ok as long as it was raining and cool, but the other day it got hot and dry, and burned my Clematis. I dug it up and replanted it on the other side of the house, it still has some root, but should I cut the part of the stem and leaves off that got burned?

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, I would. Did you place the clematis so the top of the roots are 2-3 inches below the surface? I think if you planted it that way even on the south side and place something infront of the roots like a rock or broken pot and mulched it, it should have still been ok.I live in an area with alot of hot sun, so I am fairly sure it could survive your hot weather. How old is your clem and how big was the root ball?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I agree, completely, with banana.

Plant it deep and mulch it very well (a few inches - not just a scattering of mulch) and some protection, just as banana said.

Dayton, OH

Thank you bananna and Pirl, you know you get attached to these flowers and their almost like your kids you just don't want to lose them.

Holladay, UT(Zone 5a)

Sorry to jump in here with a question. I've got two new clematis in 1 gallon pots that I need to plant in the ground. Everything I've read said to plant the rootball 2 or 3 inches below the ground, as mentioned above, but I've seen nothing that mentions the leaves. Should I remove the leaves that will be 2 or 3 inches below the ground after planting, or should I just leave them?

Thanks, Natalie

Remove them. Remember to add mulch when you're done and also to plant the clematis at a 45 degree towards whatever you want it to grow on - a trellis, a pole, etc.
Add bone meal to the soil and give it a drenching but don't keep it drenched. It wants cool moist soil.

Holladay, UT(Zone 5a)

I didn't know about planting it at an angle either, so thanks for mentioning that. I was digging the hole and ran into the sprinker line, so this will be a big help since I don't need to go as deep if I plant at an angle. I've got lots of mulch, but also have stonecrop as a ground cover where I'm planting, and it works really well to keep my other clematis cool at the bottom. I just picked up a Snow Queen, so I'm EXCITED! It's amazing!! It will go really nice next to my Josephine clematis, which just started blooming!

Natalie

Don't forget to post photos when they bloom!

Have fun and good luck with them.

Holladay, UT(Zone 5a)

Here's some pictures. This is Snow Queen which I just bought. It isn't in the ground yet, but it sure is beautiful, even if it's banged up a bit!

This message was edited May 31, 2011 6:50 PM

Holladay, UT(Zone 5a)

It helps to add the picture before hitting send! This is Snow Queen

Thumbnail by nhuntley
Holladay, UT(Zone 5a)

Josephine, which I planted last year. It only gets better with time! This is day 2 of the bloom.

Thumbnail by nhuntley
Holladay, UT(Zone 5a)

This is a purple one I bought yesterday with no name. I'm thinking of taking it back and getting a few others that I saw at Lowe's today. They had HUGE blooms, and this one is on the smaller side. I also don't know which one it is, so I don't know how big it will get.

Thumbnail by nhuntley
Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Pretty clems huntley. I'd keep the ones you got and go back and get the others :)
Your Josephine is beautiful. That is one of the best photos of her I've seen!

Holladay, UT(Zone 5a)

venu, thanks for the compliment on the photo! I just learned how to use the macro feature on my camera a few days ago, and it sure does make a difference in the quality of the photos! I'll post more as she opens up. It's hard to believe that it gets prettier over time because it's so pretty now!

I'm worried that the purple that I bought yesterday may not get as tall as I'd like. I really don't know much about clematis, but the Jackmanii (spelling?) that I have gets over 10 feet tall, and the leaves are very large. I have a pink one (lost the tag and can't remember the name) and the leaves are very small, like the purple above, and it doesn't get nearly as tall as I'd like. Does the size of the leaves have anything to do with the height, or is it just my imagination? Josephine has somewhat large leaves, and it got over 10 feet tall last year too.

I feel like I've hijacked this thread and I'm really sorry about it!

Natalie

Don't be sorry, Natalie! Love your photos and your comments. I had never thought about size of blooms related to the leaves. Generally I just buy clematis by the beauty of the flower.

You did spell Jackmanii correctly!

Holladay, UT(Zone 5a)

My question really is, is the height related to the size of the leaves, not the flower size in relation to the size of the leaves. The purple one that I posted a photo of above has very small leaves. It has no name on it, so I can't look it up to see how tall it gets. The flowers are beautiful, and aren't exactly tiny - maybe 4 inches across, but I really need it to get tall, along with being pretty! I'm trying to cover the fence between me and my nosy neighbor, so I'd rather plant something that I know will grow 10 feet and also has a pretty bloom. I don't think I've ever seen an ugly clematis, so I'm not really worried about the other unnamed one that that I bought but isn't blooming yet. It has small leaves also. The pink one that I bought a few years ago hasn't gotten over 4 feet. It's has very small leaves, so I'm thinking maybe the bigger the leaf, the taller the plant? Or I'm totally wrong about this being related?

Snow Queen has very large leaves, a huge flower, and is supposed to get very tall. That's really what got me thinking about this! If it's true, and the smaller leaves mean that it won't get as tall, I'll have to return the two that I just bought and go for ones that I know for sure will get taller. There were some other amazing ones at Lowe's that had huge beautiful flowers and get very tall, which is exactly what I need!

Natalie

I doubt the height and the leaf size are related but I'd be happy to hear it from someone who knows it for a fact.

The tallest one I have is Jackmanii and it's about 16 to 20'.

Maybe others who also have tall clematis will post and give the heights of their tallest plants.

Here's a link to Brushwood and Snow Queen. It says it gets to 8 to 10'. I imagine that's under optimal conditions.

Holladay, UT(Zone 5a)

Pirl, I just posted the question on a new thread, since it isn't related to this topic, and I've been enough of a hijacker for now! Hopefully someone will know the answer!

Natalie

Holladay, UT(Zone 5a)

Here's the latest picture of Josephine. I thought I'd post it for those who haven't actually seen one. This is the same flower as the photo I posted above, only it's opened up a lot more. It really does get better with time!

Natalie

Thumbnail by nhuntley
Dayton, OH

Like your Clematis's Huntley, very pretty
Our Lowes in Beavercreek, Ohio has some big Flowering Clematis's also. I thought about getting some, but have no room.

This message was edited Jun 6, 2011 6:49 PM

Holladay, UT(Zone 5a)

I just took a new picture of Josephine and thought I'd share it. I finally moved the one that was blooming under this one. I wish I had done it sooner! I didn't realize that it was as pretty as the one on top of it!

Natalie

Thumbnail by nhuntley
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

My Josephine never bloomed this year. So I guess I will just have to admire yours and wait till next year.

Athens, PA

Nat - so pretty. One I don't have. I really love the color as well as the form.

Me, too!

Holladay, UT(Zone 5a)

I think the blooms are a tiny bit smaller than last year, but it doesn't bother me at all because it's so gorgeous! I planted it last year, so I'm just happy that it survived and is blooming really well!

Natalie

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Josephine is really cool, I think it's so unusual! I planted one last year too (and it was blooming when I got it) but this year it's really puny and it doesn't look like it's planning to bloom for me, darn it!

Please don't give up all hope. Many are very late for me this year and they're lush but no blossoms yet on about a dozen of them.

I'd be more concerned with the puny aspect. What have you fed it?

Many of mine did not get as full as they were last year. I wonder what happened this year compared to last year?

The weather is the only thing I can think of for it. We've had a few hot days but overall it's been a long cool spring.

Holladay, UT(Zone 5a)

My Josephine has been growing really well, and it's blooming away, but it is far from covered in blooms. It's been really cool and wet here, so I expect it to take off when the temps get back to normal. Even though the blooms are a little bit smaller than last year, it seems to be growing at a rapid rate. I wouldn't describe it as lush either, but it's growing really well. This has been a very cold and wet spring, the wettest since 1860, so I expect the plants to be a little "off" for a while.

Natalie

Mine has grown quite a bit. but no blooms or buds that I can see. I am hoping like you said that it s the cool weather we have had this spring and that as soon as it get s warmer I might see some.

I looked up today and low and behold I saw one lonely bloom. I am hopeful for more to come.

This message was edited Jun 16, 2011 7:52 PM

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

I've only fed it compost at this point, and not enough I guess. I am very lazy about feeding my plants. I also wonder if maybe it is not getting enough sun.

I'm not giving up so quickly though, it's staying where it is for another year at least.

This message was edited Jun 16, 2011 1:00 AM

If we get a blast of hot weather for a week I have to wonder if all clematises, which have been lazy, will bloom.

Compost is the best food you can give any plant and it should have made use of it. We aren't all as diligent as we could be if we didn't have cooking/cleaning/kids/home/job, etc. and I've had them bloom without feeding them. We may take them for granted at times and I'm certainly guilty of that one.

The clematis only takes up the space of a saucer. I think you're doing the right thing by leaving it alone and "rooting" for the best.

How many hours of sun does yours get and at what time of day?

I have one that gets very little sun and yet it thrives.

Can we still feed them now, or should we not do that at this time of year?. How about the ones that have bloomed already? See I have never really fed mine before. But now I have more and want them to do well.
This is my original Clem. It is over ten years old. It is blooming now with little purple flowers It has taken a lot of abuse but keeps coming back strong whether I trim it or not. I think it is a group 2 since it blooms in early summer.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

That really qualifies as lush!

Here's Jeanne's advice on feeding clem's. Please note the part about not feeding once they have formed buds!

"10-10-10- is a balanced fertilizer..Like I use the 13-13-13 often through out the growing season but in the Beginning of the season (when you see the leafbuds starting to green up) you should use a fertilizer like Rose or Tomato Fertilizer that has a high middle number ..the "P" in the N-P-K ratio because like Roses Clematis are heavy feeders and really respond to a higher "P"..so use one of those fertilizers now and AFTER it finishes its bloom cycle..NEVER use Rose or Tomato Fertilizer ONCE it has set flowerbuds as this will rush (Shorten) the bloom period..a flush of about 6 weeks will end up being a 2 week flush..and you know how we love to get each and every day of our blooms to last as long as possible..and they will love the composted cowmanure you've put on them and don't forget your alfalfa tea!!"

Holladay, UT(Zone 5a)

My Josephine has done really well without any fertilizer, or any special treatment. I barely got the thing deep enough in the ground, so I'm very happy that it's done so well. When I was digging the hole for it last year I hit the sprinkler line and a huge root from the neighbors cherry tree, so I sort of squished it in the best I could, and mounded dirt and mulch around the top. I know it would have been better to bury it down in the ground a lot further, but I did the best I could. Apparently she wasn't as picky as I thought she'd be! When I planted it, my neighbor still had her cherry tree and it was getting almost full afternoon shade, but it did just fine. The cherry tree was removed about a month or so ago, so now it's in full afternoon sun, and seems to be just as happy! It's so pretty that I thought it would be a lot pickier, but it's not! Or, I've just been really lucky, which I suspect is the case!

Natalie

Good job, Natalie. Just add more manure and a layer of compost as often as you think of it and it will continue to perform beautifully for you.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

My Josephine is in sort of a "sun-hole" between the shade of a lot of surrounding trees. I think it gets close to full sun there, but I've never really measured it, so I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure it's only shaded early and late in the day. It's just that I have given it a pretty prominent spot in my garden - on it's very own obelisk, rather just along my back fence - so I am impatient, thinking about all the other things I could have put there.

I do have other clematis around my yard & they're all taking their time to look fabulous. The only one I'm really happy with right now is HF Young which is blooming beautifully, a little later than normal. We've had a long cool Spring here too. Thanks Pirl, for all your advice!

You're welcome. Mine are very lazy this year and the two I thought would be so gorgeous are foliage and no flowers. Win some, lose some.

Dayton, OH

huntley love your Josephine. How long have you had yours?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.