Iris Bloom Out?

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I have afew of my new iris from last year came as small rhizomes. So small that I was not pleased with them. But I guess you figgure at least they will grow and eventually something will come of them. Well, they just sat there and to this day there are no increases on them, just the original rhizome. Then to my great shock, they sent up bloom stalks. They have about two buds and are blooming now. I figgure this means they are done for and I might as well toss them after bloom season. I am not pleased as they were not cheap ones. I Have at least three like this but might have more.

Are my iris gonners like I figgure?

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

For me, most increases are formed after the bloom season up until frost. If they are ones you wanted to keep, just let them progress at their own pace.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I have to agree--I don't really notice new growth until after the main season blooms. Then through the summer/fall all sorts of new growth/increase start up as they begin storing up for next season. I can understand your frustration though...I go through the same thing when I see one bloom for 2 or 3 seasons then suddenly they're a no-show for a season or two.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

You might want to fertilize them a couple of times a year. In the spring when they first break ground and then late summer, when you would normally plant new ones. I expect they didn't bloom the first year because they were so small. Make sure the rhizomes are just barely under the soil

That's just it, this is the fist year after planting and they are blooming but the rhizomes are TINY. I am planning on fertilizing after bloom season is done. I did fertilize first thing in the spring.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I know you have a much shorter window of time before you can't really do much in your garden. I can usually see what's going on with my iris tubers throughout most of the winter because we don't get constant snow cover. If you have something in mind for the place the little guys are, I'd probably just watch their progress until the last minute you can remove them and put something else in their place.
If you don't want the mini's at all, I'd love to give them a try--if they size up here I'd be happy to return them to you when they're more substantial =)

I've had some of the smaller rhizomes that bloomed themselves silly the first season and big monsters take a season or two off before giving me a flower--ya just never know.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

They will still grow, don't toss em yet!
Some iris grow at a slower pace than others in my garden. I just plant those closer together as they don't need as much room, but they do still bloom for me.

I will just leave them be and hope they grow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.