Viburnum Opulus Snowball

Ennis, Ireland

HI,
I have tried a few times to grow viburnum opulus from cuttings. I will try again in June/July. If anybody has any advice I would appreciate it.
Mary,
I lost a well established bay that I had in a container on the patio. It was a victim of the freezing winter. Unfortunately, I left it out and didnt cover it.
If its in a container, am not sure a bitch would be able to wee into it? I used to have a male labrador and he killed off a lovely rock-rose at one time. So, maybe it wasnt the dog?

The garden is nearly blown away, so annoying and the slugs are having a ball. Roll on the sun next week please!!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

From W J Bean: "Most viburnums can be increased by cuttings taken in late summer and placed in gentle bottom heat".

Resin

Navan, Ireland

Hi Orange Blossom,
Try to get this year's growth but as strong as possible. It is worth going for som basal cuttings and see if that is better. I have rooted this in the past under polythene but I seem to remember that the biggest problem was the cuttings were often too thin.

Sorry to hear about the bay. I have a huge (20 ft. or so) golden one in my back garden and it is coming back very well, having kept most of it's leaves thru the winter.

Green ones in the town are completely dead.

Ennis, Ireland

Hi,

Thanks Resin & Lortay for the advice re V Opulus. Glad your Bay is reviving Lortay.. oddly enough one of my phormiums is also recovering as it was probably sheltered a little. They have all vanished from gardens around here to the dismay of the flower arrangers!

Lortay, I visited a nice garden, Terra Nova with the flower club last week. You can google it. Its near Kilmallock and you might like to see what they have done with a half-acre there if you are ever passing that way. Its very nice and lots of ideas for a small enough garden- like a massive circular bed of lily of the valley and lots of surprises. Worth a look anyway.
Happy gardening all.. think we may have our summer weather back again this week - fingers crossed!

Ennis, Ireland

Some images from my garden which I hope you can see..
Thanks for the help Lortay.
O B

Thumbnail by Orange_Blossom
Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

The small one V. Opulus compactum (my personal favourite of all shrubs; but not hardy enough for here) roots very well by layering.

Navan, Ireland

Hi OrangeBlossom,
I have heard about Terra Nova ok, but it is a bit far. I will visit if I am down that way this year. There is a nursery near you (I think) called Caherhurley Nurseries, owned by Gert Stam who I met at Larch hill plant fair recently. He has a great collection of perennials.

The Golden Bay is coming back with a vengence, not sure how well it will look after the defoliation.

Sorry to hear about not being able to grow your favorite in Finland, Patgeorge; it is a plant which I like a lot. I had it for years where I worked and it was bone hardy (to us)

Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

Iortay: Was your place of work in Ireland? Bet you didn't have to cope with -30 Celsius and three feet of snow for four months a year! V.o.c. was lovely all year round in Devon, England. It held its berries right through till Spring - birds didn't seem to like them.
I'd like to try it here; but at 75 with cancer I don't expect to be around long enough to try.

Ennis, Ireland

Hi Lortay,

Indeed I know Gert as I he sells his plants at the Farmer's Market in Ennis every Fri morning. His nursery is not open to the public though. He has a lot of wonderful plants which he raises himself and they are all very well suited to my garden. He is very helpful too and obliging. Its a small world isnt it? Sending you an image from TNova, but you may not be too clear. The balloons are made from steel and are a quirky feature. This garden has a few such surprises even a few fairies!
Found you on Flickr by the way and put you down as a friend. Hope that's ok?
Your collection of plants is wonderful. Will be dipping in and looking you up from now on. You are truly a plant lover. Well done.

Thanks for the tip patgeorge and sorry you are not feeling well. Maybe you should try the Vib Op compactum anyway. It may surprise you. Good luck anyhow.

Ennis, Ireland

Lortay,

Sorry for the error in my last post..."but you may not be too clear...should read IT may not be too clear" Sorry about that..In a hurry again!

Happy gardening and snapping!

Navan, Ireland

Hi Patgeorge,
Sorry to hear about your problem. Yes, I assume it makes it difficult to plan ahead with certainty. Yes, I was talking about 'mild' Ireland, although -15 this year was an eye opener. I was just reading a thread on Cotinus coggyria in Montreal where it was invasive in a person 'yard'. That has never happened here, so, I suppose, plants always have the ability to confound.
All best wishes, I am sure Finland has it's compensations (?)

Thumbnail by lortay
Navan, Ireland

Hi Orange Blossom,
I am just planting the last plants I received from Gert at Larchhill and will be putting in another order soon.
I have put anything on Flickr for a while as I am just at the limit where I need to subscribe to put the rest on of my photos - any day soon.
I don't think I got your contact, what name did you use?
Grass maze at Vandeleur Wall Gardens.

Thumbnail by lortay
Ennis, Ireland

Lortay,

Sending you a Dmail re above. Im only finding my way about the site also.
Didnt meet Gert today as it was too late when I got into the market and he was packing up. As I already said, I have quite a few perennials obtained from him and he is fantastic for names and advice re planting etc.

Best wishes
OB

Navan, Ireland

Hi,
I am just putting in some cuttings of Viburnum opulus 'Sterile' today. I will see how they go. Short (about 3 node) basal cuttings under plastic in the greenhouse.

Ennis, Ireland

Hi,
Just being a night owl again and on Dave's G. Well, I am glad that you have put in your cuttings of V.Op. Hope it takes. I will do the same tm and see how they go. I bought three more plants fm Gert today - but he was that busy, I did'nt get a chance to speak to him. His plants are such good value and he is a mine of information.
Here is an image of an old rose which grew in my Primary School and I successfully grew it at my childhood home and then grew it from cuttings in my present abode. I dont know it's name, but it is a rambler/climber? It has a lovely scent and is v compact. It holds a lot of memories for me. Do you know what it's called? Thanks
Happy gardening.
OB

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.