advice on labels?

Port Sanilac, MI

DH gave me a box of labels on 8" wires from Everlast Label for Christmas along with a Brother P-touch 1180 labeler. I've printed a bunch of labels on 3/8" TZ tape, laminated. They look really nice but I can take my fingernail and peal them off the plate. I can't believe they will last in the garden. What can I do to protect them? Or will they be OK as they are?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Mine last well as is. Make sure you push the tape so it's firmly stuck on.

But if you're questioning still, Clear Coat them. That's what we did the first few years, and those are still good. You can get this at Walmart or wherever.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=clear+coat&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=52O&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=636&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12488050737075672350&sa=X&ei=6QbgTaedIc6cgQfZkZTxCg&ved=0CI4BEPMCMAA

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Good advice and I use the Brother ptouch label with the industrial strength adhesive--so maybe next time you need to restock your tape--give that variety a try:)

Arlington Heights, IL

I've used the Brother ptouch to label my irises last year and all the print faded away. I live in Arlington Heights IL and we had plenty of snow this year so maybe that was the problem. Any suggestions on preserving the print for next year?

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I use cut up mini-blinds. I write on them with a China Marker, formerly called a grease pencil. I write on the front and back. If the front fades, you can still see what the name is on the back and rewrite. Cheap, not pretty, but works well.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I use the Eon metal markers and even when I make the ptouch labels I still use a paint marker on the back of the plate for name and such--better safe than sorry:lol:

South Hamilton, MA

We have used the brothers labels & while some of them last less than 5 yrs., others have been fine. that's for encouragement as I don't have an answer to your problem.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Dirtface (what a cute name!). We have between 200 and 300 inches of snow a year, and I have never had the labels fade. Are you using the TZ tape?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

pollyk

200-300" of snow a year, OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we use to live in No. Ohio and had 100-125" a year and that was too much for me, so now we are in central FL so hopefully (global warming not withstanding) I never see that again where I live.

I used what most have said they were using as well, some faded and some didn't. Sorry to say I don't have a reason for why some were ok or not. My biggest problem was the squirrels would pull my labels up out of the ground and drag them to the middle of the yard. Those little critters drove me nuts with that stunt.

Jan

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

That's funny in a way, but I'm sure it really ticked you off. Persistent little buggers.

Newfield, NY

pollyk-can you take a picture of your lable.am still havnt found something that work for me.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Sure Dori, will do. This evening when I'm taking iris photos, OK?

Newfield, NY

that fine.it to hot outside.stay in were it cooler

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Boy, you got that right. I was out at 6, and came back in about 20 minutes ago, dripping. It's way to hot for this time of year.

Newfield, NY

is will be cooler by the weekend. oh the next plants down here is june 12 12-3

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Dori, here's a pic of the label. I only put the type of iris and the name on. I keep all the other data elsewhere. I use blue for Japanese and green for sibs. They are thru a Eon co-op.

This message was edited May 31, 2011 7:59 PM

Thumbnail by pollyk
Belleville, MI(Zone 6a)

When you use the blinds, write on the bottom and the top, the part you stick in the ground won't fade!

Newfield, NY

thanks polly

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

You're welcome, Dori. I first started getting the colored ones four years ago, and that one pictured has been outside for four years. I also have some of the plain ones that have been out for about 10 years. If you notice the label on it is a little crooked. My granddaughter does the labeling for me. She loves that P Touch.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I have used the Eon markers too. Again I just use a china marker on both sides and rewrite, if needed, each spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.