What kind

Dayton, OH

Does anyone know what kind of Clematis this is?

Thumbnail by roseycats
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

My H. F. Young (also known as Horace Young) just began to bloom and looks just like yours. Does that name ring a bell?

Dayton, OH

Pirl, I'm sorry but that name does not sound familiar. Also it is losing a lot of the flowers now , do I let it go to seed or cut them off and hope more flowers will bloom?

You can allow it drop the flowers but the seed heads are really pretty so don't miss out on them by cutting them off.

If there's anything dead you can cut it off now, give it more food (either rose or tomato food along with some Epsom Salt water) and it should give you more blooms. Check the mulch and give it more to keep the soil cool. Two or three inches of mulch is good.

Dayton, OH

Thanks Pirl, will do, this Clematis will flower again in the fall

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

Mine looks the same. H.F. Young.

Thumbnail by momoftwo607
Dayton, OH

Yes momoftwo it does look the same, the name doesn't ring a bell, but the picture say's it all. Does your's also flower again in late summer into fall?

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

Yes, it usually blooms atleast 1, if not 2 more times. The flowers started opening the beginning of june and are still going strong.

Mom - do you find the blooming has a relationship to the amount of sun it gets?

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

I think so. Mine is in full sun and it loves it!

I agree.

It doesn't stop me from trying many in partial shade but the flower laden clematises are pure joy to see.

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

definately are a joy to see! The kids love them too. Some of the flowers are bigger than their little hands. They think thats pretty cool! =)

Try Liberation sometime. It will definitely be larger than their hands!

Thumbnail by pirl
Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

I will have to look for it. Thats humungous!

Dayton, OH

momoftwo, my H.F. quit flowering about two weeks ago.

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

could be the weather difference.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

My HF Young started blooming later than normal this year, but it is gorgeous right now!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.