I learned something new today....

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

At a visit to one of my local nurseries today I was surprised to see tree peonies with blooms. Since my blooms were pretty much destroyed by 10 days of rain, I asked them how they did it. Did they bring them inside for a week?

Apparently they are a new strain of tree peony developed by the grower and are more sturdy and more expensive ($110 instead of the usual $50). When I asked who the grower is, he said Monrovia.

One was sort of a peachy color.

I should have asked him if there is a stronger strain of herbaceous peony. Mine look like they are due to pop open in the next week or so. Don't blink!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Cathy, did the plants have the tags from Monrovia? I planted 3 Itohs this spring that were grown by Monrovia- Keiko, Yumi, and Misaka. The pots that they came in were huge, and the plants very healthy.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I am surprised that monrovia is hybridizing peonies. I had assumed anything that could bedone has been done by the 'traditional' hybridizers. Does anyone else have monrovia trees?

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I think I'll try to go back this weekend for a look-see. I sort of bolted when he said $110.

Kansas City, MO

Sorry these are not tree peonies but the intersectionals that Monrovia are selling under new names.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I wondered. They didnt look like trees.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

ah3815, what is an intersectional? I could not afford even one, but I would like to know for future reference. Thanks,Luciee

Kansas City, MO

An intersectional or Itoh is a cross between a tree peony and a regular herbaceous peony. Many of the first one's were yellow but now with more attempts you are starting to see more colors.

Go to www.peonyparadise.com to see several. Carol Adelman is the only current source of Irene Tolomeo's plants which come in several pleasing colors.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Thanks! Luciee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.