oh dear, I have deer!

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I HATE deer. And yes, I am sure this is deer. I've got 3 piles - no 4 piles, no 5 piles - of deer scat - 3 right beside the eaten plants and one over towards the neighbor, plus another pile by the pomegranate. I had to look it up... looks like piles of black jelly beans. I would have thought an animal that big would have bigger poo. I thought - until I looked it up - it must be something like raccoons. But no, definitely deer poo.

They carefully ate every leaf off my beautiful amethyst Heucheras, and my Japanese wind flowers. just left all the stems sticking straight up AND the nasties ate off ALL of the tiny flower buds forming on the sedum. EVERY sedum in the whole yard. EVERY variety. None of the main leaves, but just the beginning buds. I think they tried on the pomegranate (5th pile there) but I think those long thorns might have stopped them. They just wandered around, munching on this and that. Ate a lot of buds. Had to be last night or this morning.

This is my first firsthand experience - I know other neighbors have had them and I did see one standing stock still on my neighbor's lawn one day, about noon but with the exception of some chomped lilies, this is the first time they have wandered around in my yard.

Could I put out traps do you think? Like bear traps? Coyote traps?

I sprayed all my Deer Off out front and hope that works.

I would guess they were full enough that my garden was dessert. They did not touch my lilies (casa blancas, stargazers, etc) and that makes me think they were full, as they love lilies.

Tomorrow I am going to shoot one if I see it!

BTW - this is manicured suburbia - NOT wilderness

This message was edited May 26, 2011 9:05 PM

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

It's illegal for you to take non-hunting aggressive action against them such as trapping or baiting. Personally I find the expert's lists of "deer proof" plants bogus. If you plan on shooting one make sure you have (1) a current hunting license, (2) a day with nothing else to do but hang around in a frozen stance, (3) coffee or booze (that's what hunters always tote), (4) lots of bullets because they move fast and (5) room in your freezer. Good venison would be a shame to waste. You may want to reconsider because the meat takes hours to dress out and is a real messy process.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I just figured I might drag it onto my neighbor's lawn and claim total ignorance of it... what deer? Really, a DEER? my neighbors would probably throw a big celebration though as everybody hates these destructive animals. And I would not have to spend all day in a blind as these bast**ds walk right up to the front door!

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Laurel is right on sterhill. And the thing is, if the food source is there, they will come. Even if you killed the ones there now, more would come. As Laurel and I have discovered, exclusion is the best method. I know that is not always desirable or even possible in some situations. We have made peace, of a sort, with "our herd" of about 14. We built an 8 ft high fenced-in garden for veggies and special ornamentals. Then, we try to landscape with deer-resistant plants for the rest -- and there are a lot of plants that are not favorites of the deer. We also cage new shrubs and trees to give them a chance to develop some size.

Here are some I've had long term luck with that the deer do not bother: Osmanthus (tea olive; regular and the great variegated "Goshiki"), Jap. Plum Yew, Inkberry and Yaupon hollies, Nellie R. Stevens holly, Cleyera, Leucothoe, Salvias, Penstemons, Daisies, Rosemary (makes a great shrub), Lenten Roses, Jap. Anemone (although I saw that yours were eaten), Asters, Amsonia, Geranium (perennial), Gardenias, Rhododendron, Sarcococca, Lambs' ear, Dianthus, Pieris, to name a few. And it's amazing that they did not eat your lilies. Those are usually a favorite, right up there with pansies and hosta.

Also, as you've probably read, you need to rotate the use of repellents so that they don't get used to it. My favorite is Liquid Fence. Good luck.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

thanks - yeah they loved my Japanese Anemone - ALL of them... and I am so happy to still have my lilies. They did eat those last year. My entire backyard is fenced (thanks to the previous owners) and I know they can jump but with the big smorgasbord out front, they don't need to work for it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.