Yellowwood and Amur Cork trees.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I have 2 unusual trees for my area: Cladrastus Lutea - Yellowwood and Phellodendron Amurense - Amur Cork. They are very similiar in habit, leaf shape, leaf smell. Are they related somewhow? Google did not reveal much.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

No, not related.

Cladrastis kentukea (the correct name!) is in the pea family Fabaceae

Phellodendron amurense is in the rue family Rutaceae

Resin

PS species names are always lower case ;-)

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Ok, thanks. Wasn't it years and years ago plants were classified by how they looked? Not on who is realted to whom. Boy, in the Spring as they put out new leaves, the 2 trees are identical and unlike any other tree I have.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

gasrocks:

Since you are noting similarities, it would be good to also note important differences.

Yellowwood has pinnate leaves with alternate arrangement; Amur Corktree has pinnate leaves with opposite arrangement.

Yellowwood has dangling white flowers, with a form typical of the Pea family. From these, the seeds are formed in flattened dry pods like peas everywhere - though they look like the ones you'd find on a Redbud or Black Locust which are close relatives.

Amur Corktree sets clusters of small soft fleshy round black fruit, which have a fresh citrusy smell when crushed.

With age, Yellowwood retains its smooth gray bark - much like American Beech. Amur Corktree develops ridged/furrowed bark that has a bit of a corky/spongey feel to it.

Both are interesting trees to have around.

Oops. That should read "pinnately compound leaves" where referenced above.

I've assumed the position, and am ready to be Arundinaria-ed...

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Right, alternate I should have noticed. They are both young and have not flowered. Yes, cool trees indeed.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Interesting. I went for a closer look. Yes, Yellowowood has yewllow wood and alternate pinnate leaves. The older Amur Cork trees (?) I have are also alternate and pinnate and are getting a corky (at least not smooth) bark. Same wholesaler 2 years apart. One of us has gotten the labels switched. My Amur must be Yellowwood?? Did not go so far as to break apart anything to see what color the wood is. Might have to do that. All my 7 Yellowwoods have yellow wood which is noticeable when transplanting. Darn, I'll have to get some Amur Cork now perhaps.

Send us some images of your imposters - maybe you have something different yet.

There is such a thing as an Amur Maackia - Maackia amurensis - which would have alternate pinnately compound leaves, rougher bark, and be hardy for you.

That's pretty cool, too.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

9 foot high tree - the one in quesiton, of course.

Thumbnail by gasrocks
Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Oldest bark.

Thumbnail by gasrocks
Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Young bark.

Thumbnail by gasrocks
Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Leaves.

Thumbnail by gasrocks

I'm pretty sure that is a Phellodendron amurense - Amur Corktree.

Your "young bark" and "leaves" images clearly show opposite arrangement - one with the buds and one with the new pinnately compound leaves.

The other great ID detail: in your "young bark" image, you have scoped in clearly on an undeveloped bud. Surrounding that bud is the leaf scar - left by last year's leaf where the petiole attached to the stem. That bud was pretty much totally surrounded by the scar, and that feature is not shown by very many plants that are used commonly as ornamentals.

Your "oldest bark" picture shows the development of Amur Corktree bark, and your "young bark" image shows the prominent lenticels indicative of this species.

I'd call that a Grand Slam.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Cool. Thanks for the help.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.