What is the best fertilizer and how often?

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

I want to fertilizer for Amaryllis? I have bone meal and miracle grow. Can I use both?

Thanks for any advise.

Solingen, Germany(Zone 7a)

Fertilizer with ratios of N:P:K [the actual meaning being N : P calculated as P2O5 : K calculated as K2O]
of 2:1:2 give fabulous results. I apply a liquid brand namely "Substral-Pflanzennahrung" the macronutritient contents and ratio(s) respectively being
6:3:6. For "hard" water (=rich in Calcium, Magnesium, Sulphate) ad 1 to 1.5 mL per L of lukewarm water and for "soft" water (=lesser salt freight ) that I now lukkily have, 0.7 mL/L yes with EVERY water administration. This equals to an addition of 0.2 to 0.4 g/L fertilizer salts per Liter and this is safe for all purposes even (EXCEPT for certain orchids and for MOOR plants)
Previously I perceived that the American fertilizers are too rich in Phosphorus, and relations of 1:1:1 are nothing uncommon, for example in a SOLID fertilizer of 20:20:20. Phosphorus is trapped by the substrate - cannot be washed out - and this might on the lomg term lead to a detrimental enrichment of this macrionutrienmt in the substrate.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Use an orchid fertilizer. The 2nd number will be higher than the first and 3rd number. Dilute it 1/4 strength and use it at every watering. Don't over think this. It's not rocket science! Make sure it gets the right amount of Sunlight.

Perham, MN(Zone 3b)

Regarding fertilizer formulation - I find Haweha's advice interesting. I grew up with the advice that fertilizers in the proportion of 1-2-1 were to be preferred, for flowering/fruiting plants, and particularly for bulbs. I was taught that a higher N number would lead to too much green growth, and less stem/flower/root production. And when learning about spring bulb planting many years ago, one reference I turned to said to be sure and put bone meal down in spring and fall, to keep phosphorus available for strong bulb growth, as it takes time for P to work its way through the soil to the bulbs' root zones. Furthermore, the usual Miracle-Gro formula, for the water-soluble granules, used to be 15-30-15. That standard formula seems to have been revised; Miracle-Gro "All-Purpose" liquid concentrate is now formulated at 12-4-8 - closer to Haweha's recommended proportions. Similar proportions obtain in a couple of slow-release pelleted fertilizers I use. I am wondering if the conventional wisdom has been revised. Anyone else noticed this?

I think I'm going to do a little research about fertilizer formulas in general.

Joan

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

How funny this thread popped up today just when I gave my Amaryllis a shot of Bone Meal. Can you give too much Bone Meal? I just sprinkled and did not measure so I am curious if I can over do.

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

my experience with fertilizing ..all of my various plants..is knowing the N:P:K numbers..
and knowing what the specific plant needs..i fertilize my bananas differently than tomatoes,roses,other
tropical plants..
ive had great sucess fertilizing my amaryllis bulbs with a 1:2:1 fertilizer..
so whether its 4:8:4 ... 6:12:6 ... 10:20:10 its the same ratio just how much fertilizer is in it..
i had all my amaryllis bulbs outside this summer..they got really big..and bloomed mid august..YEA
i use a rabbit manure tea on all my plants with my other specific fertilizing..
wouldnt recommend using manure tea in the house though.. LOL
good luck to you.. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.