This Tree is Ugly. What Should I Do?

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

This tree is an Acer japonicum 'O isami' or Full Moon Maple. Last year it was still a very small tree. It was only about as tall as the lower set of branches seen in this picture. But one branch showed a surprising (perhaps even alarming) amount of vigor last spring so I chose that as a leader and I staked accordingly. This leader branch grew maybe 2 to 2 1/2 feet last year alone!

So what I have now looks like a sideways dumbell with weights on either side. I'm not sure what I should do because the leader branch hasn't grown any lateral branches except at the very top. It keeps looking like it will because there are buds along the way up the leader branch but as you can see it has done nothing yet.

My question is this: should I just leave it alone and let it take its natural course or should I plan to prune off the lower branches at some point to give it a more normal appearance? Any other options that I haven't mentioned? Thanks!

Thumbnail by GardenSox
Milford, DE

I would take off the lower branches and lead the plant up as high as you want and then cut the top back to force the lower buds to produce branches.

Dave

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I suspected that I should cut the lower branches but hadn't thought of cutting the top back. Thanks for the advice. Should I wait for late fall or winter to do that?

Milford, DE

In my area I would wait for 2 weeks before bud brake. This way if there is any winter damage I would be able to take care of that too.

Dave

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You have something very trendy. My local nursery is carrying trees with one color on the bottom then a graft to another tree on top and it basically looks like the one you have. :-) I still concur with Dave and Gardensox though. It's very exciting that it grew a leader. Sometimes you don't have that kind of luck.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Doss. I feel better already. I always wanted to have a trendy tree. ^_^

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Too bad most of the growers have no sense of style ,. taste or color and most of thses multi grafted monsters look liker crap to me or to be nicer hideous, it can be cool and in your case color is not different .so it doesn't pertain.. but for the most part it is for a certain genera of folks.... and I really shouldn't go there....lets just say their brains and sence of what looks cool are i the wrong location. We had this discussion a few years back I think I came out of it looking a little grumpy ... well such is life..Davidsan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.