Kohlerias outdoors in Chicago.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

This year I decided to give Kohlerias a chance outdoors planted into the ground here in Chicago. It's a pretty shady spot that doesn't get a lot of sun but the sun it's getting can be pretty intense. I can't wait to watch them develop. Kohleria 'Dark Velvet' has stubbornly refused to bloom for me indoors. Maybe outdoors will do the trick...

From left to right: Kohleria 'Mother's Lipstick', 'Jester', 'Dark Velvet', 'Peridots Potlach'.

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Great idea.I have been afraid to try it here.When a Kohleria won't bloom sometimes I move them to a warmer spot with less light,like my top shelf and it gets them started.

I can't grow one of my Gessies indoors for the life of me,so I put a pot outside.I will let you know what it is as soon as I can remember LOL.

Lynn

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

I think that it might be my rather erratic watering... LOL

My watering is totally erratic! No matter how hard I try i seem to always miss something.

The plant I can't grow inside is Chrysothemis Pulchella.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Chrysothemis are total wimps when it comes to watering. They wilt immediately and only recover with damaged leaves. Do it one too many times and the plant will go dormant and may not revive. However, if you can keep them watered and fed at all times, they are easy to grow and stunning plants.

LOL Olaf,I know they are supposed to be easy,but not for me.Even though my plant room is fairly humid the leaves always dry out for me,leaving a tall stalk with leaves mostly at the top.If I let them get even a little dry they wilt.If I keep them moist the stems get limp.They do okay in an open dome,but they get too tall.I keep letting them go dormant and trying again....and again.The one I have is "Black Flamingo' I think.

Lynn

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

I only have Chrysothemis and know how tall this can get. If I keep it watered, that is... I think that they are better suited for a conservatory or greenhouse where you can find C. pulchella in one version or the other quite often. It's interesting to see that they sometimes sell them as summer annuals. However, you hardly ever see them growing anywhere. LOL

Yet some of the members here have grown them so well.Just not me LOL

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Well, I have the same problem with some Begonias for example: Weeds for others - compost for me... LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.