A few New Cannas

Louisville, KY

We have finally been able to release a few of our new hybrids to the market. Three new hybrids this season and more to come. They are being cloned and are virus free out of the labs.

Canna Maui Punch a dwarf 2 to 3 foot canna similar in growth to orange punch but yellow flowers spotted with red dots.

Canna Lemon Punch also another dwarf canna similar growth habit of Orange punch but with bright yellow flowers

Canna Bird Of Paradise is a foliage form with large narrow foliage blue gray in color with purple veins tall with bright pink flowers.

We are breeding many more hybrids and I will introduce more as they become available.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm so happy to hear this news.. I will be moving over in July, were off to Alabama.. And I for sure will be adding to my collection.. I don't know what the birds of paradise canna looks like but the name alone makes me want it.. Is there a site u could see a picture??
Jen

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Ok found your site with the cannas, yep live the burds canna, wow those leaves are huge!!! Hopefull this one can be added to my collection.

Calgary, Canada

That is good to hear, as I have lost my entire canna effort to the virus.
I should have been content with the seedlings (some from smurf's seeds), but I must have brought in a
diseased rhizome.
I threw all of the cannas out, and will start again next year with only seedlings.
It is nice to know that there are new varieties being introduced by virus free methods.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Scott,
Always be careful with bringing in cannas. I lost many excellent cannas in my early years of growing due to that.
Hardly anything ever comes in since. If it does when trying to find old varieties still clean, it is grown in isolation and watched very carefully.

Brian,
I hope you have better luck thank I did with the company you are working with.
I helped them a lot in their early days of learning to tc cannas, but I never got a dime for any of mine they sold.
They said because they never did a contract with me. ha
So make sure you have that in place.

This message was edited May 24, 2011 8:53 AM

Calgary, Canada

Yes, I will not be bringing home any rhizomes unless I isolate them.
I did not know about the virus when I started cannas this past spring.
I think that I will stick to seeds.

Louisville, KY

We have a contract so hopefully things will work out great. I will let you know how it goes. I have been burned a few times as well and have learned my lesson.

As for the virus I believe that some strains of the virus can be passed on through to the seedlings? I believe I had a paper on this showing certain strains of the mozaic virus were able to pass on. I would hope I am wrong but i do remember reading.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Especially CaYMV which is a badnivirus passes through to seedlings. I have seen it happen in seedlings from infected parents.That one especially does not always appear to the eye right away.
No matter which virus though, if/when I see a canna at any stage that does not look perfect, out it goes.

Hahaha ... yes, isn't it "fun" to be burned? .. lol
Best luck in your endeavours :)

Louisville, KY

I think with the right chemicals nursery or hobbyist could clean their own cannas of virus. The idea is to out grow the virus it is not always an easy task but cannas can be cleaned of virus and test have shown that some TC labs are able to pull this off. I just wonder if it is possible for others to get the same results. I have a few chemicals at hand that I plan to test on nice older infected cannas that I have not get gotten rid of.

Calgary, Canada

I did try adding aspirin to the water.
And I also tried adding Vitamin C---but neither helped.

That is horrible if the virus can go through in seeds also.

Louisville, KY

The idea is to out grow the virus by using propagation chemicals and hormones one you start to see clean material remove it from the rest and test it for virus.

Calgary, Canada

I see now------treating the disease is not the best idea.
But build really heathy plants which resist or overcome the disease.
I'll have to read up on more before next season.
Thanks for the information.
Caroline

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Many have spent A LOT of time and effort trying to eradicate virus from an infected plant.
It is better to grow clean healthy plants, be ever watchful, and stay as far away from infected stock as possible.

Even Longwood Gardens seems to have gone the same route as we did.
There is some valuable information in the read here, also, that we can all learn more:
http://longwoodgardens.wordpress.com/2010/08/24/canna-we-save-the-canna/

Calgary, Canada

Thanks----there is hope!
When you say chemicals---do you mean gibberellic acid?

Louisville, KY

G3 could be used I know it causes stretching and may help a plant to out grow the virus. It would need to be tested these are just some theories on ways to clean them. I know that they can out grow the virus it is just to see how hard it is for it to do so.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I'll keep it to the pros, I'll just get clean ones and if i see anything fire they go...

Calgary, Canada

I am with you, smurf!
I'll try again next year, but stick to seed starts.
Caroline

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

Quote from smurf428 :
I'll keep it to the pros, I'll just get clean ones and if i see anything fire they go...

I'm with you... :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.