Does anyone have experience with saskatoons?

Traverse City, MI(Zone 6a)

There is a place up here that sells these berry bushes that look similar to blueberries, but are apparently more closely related to apples and roses than to blueberries. Anyway I have been considering putting in some blueberry bushes or other edible berry that will appeal to both me and the wild life. I just learned of these saskatoons, through an ad in craigslist that led to an orchard in Mancelona, that sells baby bushes on a grand scale and also on a smaller individual scale. The information provided by the orchard is a bit technical and geared more towards people starting their own orchards. So I am wondering if anyone here has tried any in their backyards, and if so how do you like them?

this is the orchards web-site www.saskatoonmichigan.com

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Before ordering any type of fruiting bushes know what the soil requirements are. I know blueberry bushes require a highly acidic soil. If your soil tends to run more alkaline they won't grow well. I'm finding that out now. I'm going to try to heavily fertilize mine with an acid fertilizer and mulch with pine mulch. I hope it works. I would love to have them thrive and grow. We love blueberries. My elderberries seem to love my soil and have really taken off. Our soil also lacks sulphur which we have to supplement along with a balanced fertilizer. We get a 15-15-15-10 from our farm supply store.

Knowing your soil and what will grow well in it will guide you to what plants and trees and bushes to purchase. Things are too expensive to lose. Do your homework first and plan and prepare then buy and grow and enjoy.

Brenda

Thanks Brenda, one of the farm supply stores in town used to advertise that they did soil testing, I will get the soil tested before I spend money. The literature on the saskatoons and the article that I found on DG that mentioned them said that some varieties prefer and acidic soil like blueberries. One spot I have gets covered in pine needles from my neighbors trees every year and won't grow grass or honeysuckle (two not cheap hybrid vines bit the dust in that corner of my yard). I guess I need to cough up the cash for soil testing in more than one area.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

The pine needle area would be great for the berries. I have the same situation in my flowerbed out front. I have a huge (75') pine tree next to it that sheds needles. I just moved an expensive Japanese Maple tree there because it was slowly dying where I had it planted. It has leafed out and looks so much happier in the acid soil. The Rose of Sharon I put where it used to be is doing well also. They grow anywhere like a weed pretty much. :) Pine needles are great at acidifing soil. Maybe I'll gather up some under my gree and put them around my blueberry bushes. :)

Brenda

It's good to know those pine needles have a use other than the murder of my bare feet:-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.