Help with rescued orchids please! No roots...

De Soto, KS(Zone 5b)

Saturday I rescued two orchids from Lowes reduced rack. The bigger one looked pretty sad, leaves were starting to shrivel and the plant was tightly packed in moss so I suspected a bad case of over watering. The smaller one was not nearly as bad off but still being packed in moss I knew probably had trouble brewing. I got these 2 home and went to repotting them right away. Sure enough, the moss was bone dry on the outside but wet and rotting on the inside. The roots of the bigger one were all completely dead or rotting. I started trimming hoping to find any good roots but I'm a beginner and didn't see anything I thought was viable. Long story short, I removed every root. I had read a little somewhere that you can sometimes save an orchid that's lost it's roots so I lightly firmed some moist medium bark orchid mix around it and put it where it would only get indirect light. The smaller orchid had 1/2 dozen or so roots that seemed okay so I trimmed the dead/rotting roots and potted it up and set it next to the other one.

I'm a real beginner, having only purchased my first orchid less than a year ago. Is there anything I can do to save these orchids? They are both named variety phals and I would love to see them recover. Any advice is more than welcome. Thanks!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

You can try unpotting both, dusting the cuts with cinnamon and placing on damp sphagnum. The bigger one is probably a goner but you can do the above, place a small wad of damp sphagnum, and surround it with a breathable plastic to raise humidity like the type used for packaging produce. The leaves are dessicated (shriveled) because the plant has no roots to uptake water. Even an experienced grower would have difficulty here and most likely toss the plant. You may prefer to leave the smaller one in its new medium. However, new bark does not maintain moisture well and under/over watering becomes an issue.

I can only reiterate that if you are interested in growing orchids, and seek to avoid the trials of Job, buy from a reputable grower. I'm saddened to see the many one time posts of people like yourself who bargain shopped. There are bargains galore out there but a more experienced grower is needed. Beginners should avoid them. A somewhat rhetorical question is, "Would you buy wilted plants with rotting roots for your veggie or flower garden?" It's a viable way to add here and there to a collection of sound healthy orchids if you can chalk up the loss but it's not a good situation if you end up saying, "I tried growing orchids. They are too demanding".
Laurel

De Soto, KS(Zone 5b)

Thanks Laurel, I know what I did was a complete newbie mistake but I hated to see them dying and thought I'd give it a try. I have a total of 9 orchids now that I've gotten from several places. Two came from a local nursery, 3 from Lowes, 1 from Aldi's of all places and 3 from on line growers. I'm at the point now that I have plenty to work with and learn from and hope to be able to gain experience from other orchid growers and of course my own mistakes. My husband will be building me a greenhouse soon and I'm really excited to be able to start a "good" collection of orchids.

I know I'll be asking a lot of questions and will definitely be reading the wealth of information on this forum. Thanks again for the advice, I really appreciate it.

deb

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Ask away as long as you realize the answers will be opinions. You'll see me referring to my orchids as the 'chids. It's like raising children. Is there a singular way to raise them that is guaranteed? No.

Would you include your zone with your username and when you post to describe your seasonal indoor and outdoor conditions and the types of orchids you are growing, including their hybrid monikers? That would help a lot in the advice giving department.
Laurel

north coast nsw, Australia

Yes as Lauel said knowing your area, climate, temp. would be easier to answer your orchid questions. I supose everyones gotta start somewhere and your better of killer some cheaper orchids than more expensive ones. But starting on sick ones does make you think you can't grow orchids when maybe you could with healthier ones. There not very hard to grow once you get the basics down pat.
Spaghnum moss promotes new roots and high humidity but theres a very thin line between damp and wet which will just continue to rot the orchid. Ask away but no one growing method is used it depends on the temp., humidity, watering and air circulation.

De Soto, KS(Zone 5b)

Well, it's become pretty apparent that the worst of the two rescued orchids is destined for the compost heap but I'm really excited to see a new leaf appear on the other one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.