O P Snapdragons

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I WS some O.P. snapdragons. They are hanging in there real well. However, they are about 2 inches tall and spindly. I wonder if I could transplant them and plant part of the stem in soil? I have them in partial shade right now, I think I will move them to full sun. But, I would still like to plant them a little deeper. What is your opinion?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I don't think they are they type of plant you can bury the stem on. You could try it on a couple and see how they respond but I think if you let them grow out a bit for some height.
I don't know if you'd want to pinch them once to help them branch a bit and have more flower heads (maybe only on the dwarf or shorter varieties) mayby not on the tall type as the one main stalk is where it will form the flowers. I don't know that the taller ones would "branch" or spread from pinching.

The bedding ones I had responded well to deadheading and producing more flowering stems but they were meant to be short and bushy.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I have re-potted these snaps to larger pots. The stems look studier, but not great. It's so hot now, I doubt they will make it. Snaps don't like high heat. If they make it through the hot summer, they will probably bloom in the fall. Then, perhaps, I can get seed for next year.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Uhmmm. Regarding the O.P. snapdragons I WS! They are not Snapdragons. No wonder the stems looked so spindly! I planted about 25 in my garden. They have started blooming now. I "think" they are Angelonia. I am so disappointed. My garden looks terrible. Short, spindly, tiny flowers. I think I will see what I can find at the garden center to fill in the area. It's late in the season to find much.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Sorry to hear that=) Angelonia is sorta a weeny plant that is probably best for mixed container leaners and fillers. Hope you find something else you like locally!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, I agree about Angelonia being a supporting plant - not the main show. I ordered the seed from Diane's Seeds. It's disappointing to start from seed and nurse plants along, and then, it turn out to be the wrong plant. I did not order Angelonia so, I know they sent the wrong seed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.