Garden pics please?

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Could we see some pics of garden layouts? I am putting in a historic iris preservation garden and would really like to see some pictures of your garden layouts. Pics that show your entire garden. My irises are currently spread everywhere I could find a place, but I am now ready to start with a garden.
Love the pics of irises, but I would really like to see gardens this time.
Thanks!

Cherryvale, KS

I'm going to share pictures of region 18 flower beds!

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

shade bed

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

Must be all they do! LOL

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

An angel's hinny! LOL

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

All for now! Sampson's garden

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Beautiful! I knnow my iris beds will never look like that. I am really more interested in making a regular garden with my historic irises and use my newer irises in my landscaping where they are now. The newer ones I currently have in the bed behind our garage has grown too thick and I am going to have to find a way to squeeze them in somewhere else.
Thanks for the lovely pics. Truly a showplace.
Anybody else? Home gardens? Business gardens?
deb

Marble Hill, NY(Zone 6a)

Here's my front garden which bakes in the sun for most of the day. I'm not into grass and mowing so I have rows of plants (including irises) and rows of groundcovers (mazus, arabis between the stones and ceratostigma plumbaginoides under the hedge) with stepping stones so I know where to put my feet when weeding.

Row 1: Veronica, irises, daylilies Pyrethrum, Heliopsis Loraine Sunshine
Row 2: arizona sun, irises, sidalcea, annuals (whatever I feel like growing from seed -- this year its asters and zinnas)
Row 3: Tinkerbelle daisy, iris, veronica, penstemon, Heliopsis Loraine Sunshine
Row 4: penstemon, iris, daylilies, sidalcea, mums-Matchstick

That way I have something blooming just about every month of the growing season

Hope this helps

Thumbnail by jxmas
Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

I like stepping stones, but I worry that someone would stumble and fall on them. Of course that is always a possibility with any kind of path between rows. I have been thinking landscape fabric with mulch between rows.
Debbie

This message was edited Jun 7, 2011 7:27 AM

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Hi Deb, here's my front yard...

Thumbnail by naomimade
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for photos of beds layout

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

I currently have around 400-500 named irises. Almost all need to be thinned. I want to keep my newer irises in the landscaping around our new house. My old ones, 1950 and older, I want to put into a HIPS garden. After our house was finished and I started landscaping, I planted things too close together. Here, at our old house, it takes things forever to grow.I wanted things there to actually have reasonably full foundation planting in a few years without waiting until we were too old to enjoy it. Well, things over there grow like there was no tomorrow and the beds are already getting CROWDED! I talked to a man at the Co. that ut iin our septic system (turns out he was a former student at VA Tech and had hubby for a professor) about an iris garden over the septic field, and he said it would be fine there. The garden hasn't been put in yet, hopefully by this fall. I have been thinking about rows but wanted some other ideas to consider.
Here are some pics of where they are currently located.

one side of the upper driveway:

This message was edited Jun 8, 2011 7:52 AM

Thumbnail by estrail1rider
Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Across the drive from the above bed:

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I have my irises planted in two different ways. One, in lines to dig for sales, and the others planted in garden beds. I plant the siberians and historic bearded all together, as the historics can take much more water, and more crowded conditions than some of the newer irises. I guess historics became historics as they can survive so much.

Here's a garden shot:

Thumbnail by pollyk
Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Behind the garage...the most crowded...

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

You sure do have a lot of irises, Deb! I was going to comment, it will be good to put the irises over the septic, unlessssss....the septic needs to be dug up for any reason. We had only lived here 4 years, and had to have the septic all dug up, as it had become tilted and wasn't leaching properly. And since then we have had to have the leach lines redone. A lot of that was because we're on sandy soil, though.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Nice gardenshots everyone.

Elba, NY(Zone 6a)

I love the historics too! I probably have about 100 at this time. Went a bit overboard last year... Here's a pic of where I have a lot of my historics. It's next to our retaining wall. I mixed in clematis and a wisteria to climb the wall. Perennials are mixed in with room to put in annuals for now and then in future years, hopefully will be filled in by the irises and perennials. I have a problem with straight and orderly. DH yells at me because I never design a bed straight. I like curvy and more natural looking lines. He complains because of the mowing...

Thumbnail by dancingbear27
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

My husband gave in to curvy beds a long time ago. I do try to do long curves, though, so it's easier for him to mow.

Elba, NY(Zone 6a)

Here's a pic of my big flower bed in the back. Please don't check out the weeds...it's done nothing but rain this spring! Once again, irises are mixed with perennials with little walkways throughout the garden for ease of access.

Thumbnail by dancingbear27
Elba, NY(Zone 6a)

The last one is still a work in progress. Awaiting the forklift to move the 2 pallets of beautiful lumpy fossil rocks to edge it. Gravel in the pathways, mulch (of course), and my daughter and I have been slowly working on stepping stones for the pathways too. It is like a big kidney shape.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Just beautiful!

Weeds in upstate NY? NO! LOL, LOL.

Elba, NY(Zone 6a)

Thank you! Weeds, bugs, mildew and RAIN, RAIN and more RAIN!!!

DH is a farmer and he's spent more time pumping water off fields this spring to save them from flooding the newly sprouted seed than getting the rest of the fields planted. Very behind this year with the crops.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

We live in the country, also. A lot of muck farms up here, and they just got planted. Our neighbor just got his corn fields in. No knee high by the fourth of July this year.

Elba, NY(Zone 6a)

That just happens to be what DH is! A muck farmer! Most people would never have heard of such a thing! The muck turns into liquid soup, no substance what-so-ever to it. Really strange consistency when flooded. I have left over muck dirt that was shaken off of harvested onions, etc for my garden. Wonderful rich gardening though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.