Black Walnut tree

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

We have several Black Walnut trees on our property. For some reason one of the trees has decided to die off. It is barely alive because there is a scattering of new growth, but the majority of the tree looks dead. I am puzzled and worried. It is a mature tree (30 ft) tall, with no evidence of disease, lightening strikes, disturbed roots. All the other trees near it are healthy. I'm terrified that whatever it is could spread. Anyone have a clue as to what is going on?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Get an ISA-registered professional arboricultural consultant out to inspect it in person. Ask them to check for the possibility of 'thousand cankers' disease (Geosmithia morbida; very unlikely, but not impossible; but bad news if it is).

http://www.thousandcankerdisease.com/

Resin

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh my, that sounds very scary. My husband cut it down yesterday. It is laying in the back now. I will go and inspect it more carefully now. That would be absolutely disastrous if it's what I have. Some of our trees are probably 50+ years old. Thank you for the link.

It is very unlikely - just a remote chance to be aware of. Do send a sample off for analysis, but don't get too worried about it!

Resin

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

How long does a black walnut live for?? If some of the trees are 50+ years this one may have died from old age. Sure it's not 100 years old?? I've seen big black walnuts on old farms before so I'm thinking they were popular to plant way back when. Just a thought.

Quote from CoreHHI :
How long does a black walnut live for??

200+

Resin

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

We do have 2 oak trees that are 100+ yrs old but I don't think the walnuts are that old. I'm just saying that because of where they are growing and the diameter. Of course I have no idea since we didn't plant them. We have been living here 11 years and the original house was built in 1911. We have a large variety of very old trees in addition to the oaks and walnuts. This is the first time we have had a tree die off. Several of our trees have been hit by lightening but they are still living strong. The beautiful trees are what made me want to buy this place. You cannot buy trees like what we have and when we cut one down or in this case have one die, well it like losing a bit of history.

This message was edited May 24, 2011 9:02 PM

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

I have a maple tree that suddenly died off - never budded out this spring, it was perfectly fine last year. Nothing that I am aware of is different, and I haven't a clue what happened. None of my other trees seem to be having any problems. I believe this tree is about 40 years old.

I am going to have it cut down, the tree removal company has someone that seems pretty knowledgeable. perhaps he can help me identify the problem. That is great advice to have the tree inspected or tested. ~j

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

I had a person from the Dept. of Agriculture contact me. He's going to send someone out to test for thousand canker virus. There was a positive report in Tenn. last year. I'm all about notoriety, but this is definitely something I don't want to be known for. I will let you guys know for sure when I know something.
Phill: Please do tell us what you find out about your maple.

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Will do

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

So I talked with a fellow from the U.S. Forestry Dept. He didn't come out to look at my tree, but from my description he seemed to think it was drought that killed it. There were a couple of other factors that played into it's death, such as compaction of dirt from driving our tractor over the area. Plus we have been filling in a very large ditch somewhat nearby. Those tree roots can travel a long distance. So I'm very happy to say is wasn't the dreaded canker virus. We have been having drought conditions here in the Carolinas for the past 4-5 years and it finally caught up to this one particular tree.

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

My maple tree died because it girded itself. Apparently years ago, many trees were planted too deep. And decades later, this is the result. Even the tree guy said it was sad, because it was truly a beautiful tree, well shaped, nice size. Of all the maples in my yard, this one was the best of the bunch. These trees were put in when the house was built - so it would be mid to late 70's it was planted.

Of course, it couldn't have been the Honey Locust that died, it just wouldn't be my luck. On the other hand, I am having the Honey Locust next to my house, removed at the same time. Wish I could afford to get the last Honey Locust in my yard removed too, but that will have to wait. ~j

Good to know it's not canker!

Resin

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Quote from Resin :
Good to know it's not canker!

Resin

So am I, whew!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.