Rhododendron question

Morgantown, WV

My rhodie plant is the oldest plant in my yard. This spring I have been planting new plants and I was looking at my rhodie and I decided to remove a fewer lower branches. They were touching ground. Well it was a very good decision to do. The piece we broke off looked so nice to me and my husband decided to plop it in the ground behind our house. Low and behold we have noticed the flowers blooming on that plant. Leaves look brown a little but it definitly bloomed. Doesn't that mean it is a live? I didn't know if it would work or not but it looks like it might have. Any opinions anyone?

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

It does but the energy spent doing flowers and seed may be better spent developing roots instead. Did you use a rooting hormone when you planted it?

Morgantown, WV

Luis. Yes I did I happened to have bought some I putit in root stem. Putit down in ground. I really wasn't expecting it to live. I pulled on it and it wouldn't budgen so I will wait to see.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Good luck with it. I had a similar case but the plant was a rose bush. I saw some leaf out that I ignored and turned out to be flower buds that bloomed. The stem that I cut off was probably setting to bloom when I made the cut and my so called leaf out was actually tiny blooms that were just starting.

Milton, MA

how would I treat leaf mold on rhody

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

As in mold from the azalea whitefly? These small white flying insects look like an aphid with wings and suck on the underside of foliage, leaving whit e spots. Heavy infestations can cause the margins of terminal leaves to cup. The infested leaves eventually turn yellowish and wilt. The bottom part of the leaves become covered with honeydew, followed by sooty mold (a black coating). Whiteflies can be controlled with beneficial insects, insecticidal soap or a horticultural oil (spray both sides of all leaves).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.