???s on patriotic projects

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

To those of you who do QOV or other such charity quilting, (or anyone who has any input on this) is there any rule/stipulation on using real red, white and blue compared to using darker reds/blues and a cream or ivory for flags? Some of the fabric I've been seeing leans more toward an Americana type theme where the reds/blues are faded or an off-shade and then a cream/tan instead of white for the stripes..

I found a small 5x8 paper pieced flag pattern that I wanted to try, thinking I had plenty of stash to choose from.... but I didn't have exactly what I wanted to use (imagine that...) So today I've been to 5 fabric places, no one had navy blue with white stars... I could find a washed out blue with tan stars, or any other blue with stars and flowers or fireworks, etc,. I settled on the washed out blue and tan, although the stars were bigger than I wanted, and we matched a burgundy tonal and a tan print for the stripes. I do have a white star tonal and plenty of different shades of reds here in the stash, but wondered if using off shades of red and blue, along with a cream/tan instead of white is a no-no.... or does it really matter?

http://www.winnowing.com/flag.html

I've seen all sorts of fabrics in the QOV type fabrics online, but since I'm making a small flag I wondered if it made a difference?

Thumbnail by Kizmo
This thread has 49 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!