Dividing Autumn Joy Sedum

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I have a large clump of Autumn Joy Sedum growing next to a Knockout Rose bush and I'm wondering if it's too late to divide it so that the rosebush has more room to grow. I was planning on slicing into it with a shovel and just halving it. Would that be wrong or too brutal to the plant? Do I need to completely dig it out and then trim it down? What would be the best method?

Here's a pic

Thumbnail by toni5735
Prosperity, SC(Zone 7b)

That plant could make many more than two. I would just take stem cuttings since they root readily, use about 4 to a clumb and make more cool plant starts. Then dig the root ball and move if desired, I will take some pics of my rottings I took last week and you can decide...I will post pic this afternoon after I get back.
V

Prosperity, SC(Zone 7b)

This is just a few of my rootings

Thumbnail by BUFFY690
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Buffy690, I took stem cuttings last summer and have 8" diameter sedum clumps all over the garden this year. The sedum in the picture is the original "mama" and it is still too big. All I did was take 2-3 stem cuttings for each clump and stuck them in the ground where I wanted them to grow and in a few weeks they were rooted. I also did the same thing for some "Black Beauty" sedum I bought last summer. I wish I would have thought ahead and potted up some cuttings earlier on in the season b/c I'm having a garage sale this weekend and probably could have sold some!

Toni

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Just put your shovel on the outside of the plant, loosen and then reach with your hands to pull apart what amount you want to move somewhere else. I wouldn't cut from the center.

Prosperity, SC(Zone 7b)

Shoot yeah I am actually adding a few sedums to my clollection of potted items and I think I am going to send them to a sale in the spring, or maybe sell them myself...Don't quite know yet. I have lots of different sedums and try to incorporate a new one each year if I have the time to plant...LOL
I think I am bringing home Brilliant, and one called Carl tomorrow mainly for cuttings after I get some more of the great organic Fafard soil...it is so soft and loose everything I try roots in it :0)

Lake Stevens, WA

Sheila-FW

Good advice this late in the year. Eary Spring just as the stems emerge from the ground I have dug and the taken my Hori Hori Knife and cut into about 4 pieces on a large one. None of them died.

Has any of you seen a sedum named 'Diamond Edge'?

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Sedums are pretty much indestructible. However you want to divide it, it will hardly notice it's been divided and moved. I divide and move my sedums all the time and they don't care. They're so tough and versatile.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I separated and moved a large clump of Autumn Joy this spring. It never missed a beat! You could easily divide that clump into at least 4 smaller plantings.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I need a bigger yard ~ I have enough sedum to do the whole block!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

That is when you take a pot of it, and go to that house where you have been seeing that plant you don't have; give them the pot when asking for a start of their plant. LOL!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Sheila, I wish I had more neighbors who shared my interest in gardening. My one lady friend recently went back to her home country; she was my gardening buddy. The only other gardeners are my Italian neighbors across the alley and they grow mostly vegetables and fruit ~ they have a pear tree, grapes and fig trees. I give them some of my home grown tomato plants every year and they share their produce with me.

Prosperity, SC(Zone 7b)

I have them scatterd here and there as well. I have matrona, brilliants, autumn joy, neon, and I did have a varigated, but can't seem to find that clump this year...Hmmm curious...I am sure to add more and more.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

They also root easily from the leaves. Just poke one in the ground and keep it watered and you've got a new start!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I took Sheila's advice and dug out a huge clump of the sedum where I needed some space and gave it to my next door neighbor. I also gave her my leftover tomato plants. This way I can still keep an eye on the plants and give them a shot of water when needed and not have to cram everything together in my yard. Win, Win!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Way to go toni!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.