Attractive way to grow and contain mint?

American Canyon, CA(Zone 9a)

I love mints and I want to find a way to have a mint collection that is both confining, attractive and cheap...lol, I know...I do not ask for much!

I know I could stick them in a bunch of black 5 gallon nursery pots, but I am trying to get all my plants in the ground and avoid that look. (I work at a nursery and end up with loads of plants sitting around in those cans).

I was thinking about 1/4 wine barrels. The only thing is: if I plant a few varieties in each one (which I would have to) how would I keep the more aggressive varieties from taking over? I guess just careful planning and tending? Perhaps if I select varieties that are obviously very different from one another for the groupings that would help...

What do you mint lovers out there do?
So far I have:

banana, strawberry, Mojito, chocolate, apple, variegated pineapple, orange and peppermint. (but I love them and I want them all of course!)

OK, so after I posted this I saw the other post about mint a few doors down...which then led me to the Richters website, a place I had not been before. All I can say is "AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!"

Please help me figure out a great way to have a mint collection, now that I see like 20 more I NEED....lol!

:)

Tina

Lexington, MI(Zone 6a)

In one public garden I worked in we used a grouping of chimney flues set a different heights. One variety in each. They were tall enough that the mint didn't travel out the bottom. It's best to paint the flues with a clear sealer, at least in our climate where they go through freeze thaw cycles in the winter. It looked really great. In a museum garden I'm working in now we have a large round drain type terracotta tile. I think your wine barrel would be great. But you will have to keep the agressive ones under control.

If you ever want want to share, I've never had either banana or strawberry mint. I have all the others you listed plus variegated ginger and Kentucky Col. spearmint.

I am happy to share! D-mail me and I will root up some cuttings. They root so fast it should only be a couple of weeks! Maybe we could do a swap, I would like the variegated ginger.

:)

Where do you think I could get chimney flues?

We have these cool pots at work, they are about 3 feet tall, 18 inches or so around, and have pockets in them, like a strawberry pot. I will take a picture and post them because they might be cool for mints too.

(Ang) Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

OK I have to know - does Banana Mint smell like Banana?!?!?! The nursery is looking for it for me but so far they haven't found it. I've never heard of strawberry mint lol.

I would like to suggest choosing a method that could keep the mint varieties separate and allows you to divide it up every once in a while. Some mints can choke out the others.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That's what happened to my orange mint. The spearmint took over :( I have a choc mint in a hanging basket but it is hard to keep up with watering. Got to water every other day, right now. Maybe daily soon.

Thumbnail by bariolio
Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Tikipod:

Banana Mint; Mentha arvensis 'Banana'

This mint from France really smells of bananas! Squeeze the leaves and the remarkable scent bursts forth. The unexpected fruitiness inspires a creative gastronomic tangent. Dazzle friends and family with banana mint tea, julep, or ice cream; or how about banana mint cookies and muffins?
http://www.richters.com/Web_store/web_store.cgi?product=X4005-500&show=&prodclass=Herb_and_Vegetable_Plants&cart_id=5488958.18817

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.