Spring 2011: Growing plants under lights indoors! Pt 1

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Thought I would start a new thread for those of us that are growing vines indoors. I don't plan to move most of them outside. I fear the rust will get them if I do! I want to see blooms on these cultivars. I will probably just move the species vines outside soon.

This is Kai no Kasumi with diluted looking blooms! Rather pretty.

Thumbnail by beckygardener

A close-up of the larger bloom.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Oh I think it's very pretty, nice to see a pink.:-)

Jackie - Thanks! You might not be able to tell from the photo, but the blooms on KNK is actually lavender color, not pink.

Here is the Blue Speckles F2 blooms on the variegated leaf vine. The specks had turned pinkish color instead of the blue because it was later in the day when I took the photo. The blooms were the smallest blooms I've ever gotten on an I. nil. Not much bigger than my thumb. I just sowed two F3 seeds from this vine to see what the F3 produces. Should be interesting!

This message was edited May 18, 2011 1:08 AM

Becky, my eyes getting so bad that I couldn't tell. Might just be my glasses and just had them 5 months
I can't imagine why your Blue Speckles, F2 generation turned out
so small. Mine do here when the temps drop Blue Silk fades
to pink as do quite a few others. Just another trait that makes these glories so fun to grow. Like getting 2 for the price of 1, :-)

Jackie - The Blue Speckles blooms may be small because of the restrictive cup they are growing in. But I have much larger vines growing in the same size cups with no miniature blooms, so ... I am thinking it is genetic.

Gautier, MS

Really pretty blooms Becky!! Really like your KNK, you grow such nice vines!

Thanks, Helena! I really enjoy growing them indoors. No bugs, no diseases, no wilting heat. LOL! I think I got spoiled over the Winter growing them inside. LOL!

Mesilla Park, NM

Becky, that Kai no kasumi sure is pretty, it almost looks like another species of plant. Not an MG.

Those blue speckled look kinda cute like that, crowded together. Several here are really small too, but I think because they are in small cups, they are stunted.. some need transplanting desperately but I don't have the energy or time to do it just now. I'm also wondering if the bloom booster sometimes just makes them grow so fast that they don't have a chance to mature into the larger flower? I wonder?

Are you growing your second round of seedlngs now?

A, ditto here on the lack of energy and time, lol I need a maid but I would have to clean the house first cause I wouldn't want the maid to see it like this, lolol Besides, I
would probably have her planting mg's instead of cleaning house, more lolol.

Mesilla Park, NM

Jackie, yeah, I feel so run down all the time now, I just can't seem to get with it..lol, need to cut down on my hobbies.. everything is suffering.

A - Thank you! The KNK really knocked my socks off when I saw it! I tried to hand-pollinate it. We'll see if it took...

I hear ya and Jackie about how time consuming growing plants and doing gardening is. But it is also a nice distraction for me personally. Between work and life, I need the mental break. I don't think of anything else when I am working in my yard or taking care of my indoor plants! :-) I enjoy the photography part the best! :-) :-) :-)

Mesilla Park, NM

You know what I like about growing under lights and indoors is that you can look at the plants day or night, I spent many hours at night looking through magnifying glasses at the stems, hypocotyls, cotyledons, etc.. something you can do at night, saves time during the day for other things.. that was what I really enjoyed doing here.

Antoinette - You are absolutely right about that! I love looking at them anytime of the day or night. The blooms last longer under lights too because they don't get so hot that they wilt. :-)

Those F2 Blue Speckles sure are doing some whacky flip-flopping back and forth. First the blooms are almost white. Then later blooms are just loaded with blue speckles like these blooms taken recently. I haven't been able to get any of the F3 to germinate. Grrrr ... that IS the problem with these ... they don't germinate very easily for me. I shall try a few more seeds and see if I can't coax them out of their seed coats! I am so curious as to what the F3 will produce. I hope the variegated leaves are a dominate gene. I love the variegation since is really stands out!

Here's a close-up of one of the blooms.

Oh, I hope that's what my Blue Speckles bloom will look like. Beautiful
shade of blue.
Edited to say great pic too Becky. Don't know if I'll ever be able to take pics like this one.

This message was edited Jun 7, 2011 1:48 PM

Thanks, Jackie! I hope you get similar blooms, too!

Your photos will be better and sharper than mine once you get used to your new camera. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.